Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT: Nvidia and Vista

Brian B 74

Does anyone have any recommendations for an Nvidia graphics card to run under Windows Vista? I am in the process of ordering a new one and keep reading places that they don't work so well together - especially that SLI isn't supported. Is this true?

My computer has a GeForce 6600 LE w/ 128mb and is constantly crashing.

[ 04-02-2008, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: BBGun ]

Unfortunately, the computer already has Vista on it (it's my Gateway at home). Computer is used for internet, general word processing, and pictures/movies. My wife's computer and she is frustrated with it. The other downside is that the computer originally came with XP Media Center, but when I restore the hard drive using the system restore disk it gives me an error message (some file missing). Tells me to re-install windows. Gateway tech support was no help. Last time I buy a store bought computer. banghead.gif

I have no problems with vista and Nvidia. I just got a Dell precision with the quad core xeon and nvidia quadro fx 570 SLI and i love the way mastercam runs with vista, have it on my xps laptop with nvidia 8400 a little slower but still pretty. I still have a gateway with XP pro , but i have not had 1 issue with vista, I think it got a bad rap when it first came out. It is the future so I imagine Mastercam will bwe catering to it in the upcoming releases??

I think what I am going to do is just build a new PC. I can give this Gateway to my Mother In Law (she's a computer newbie). With the new build, I am going to use 300gb hard drives. Question is this - which RAID should I use? RAID 1 or RAID 5 for data protection?

Raid 0 for performance, but no redundany. This is your best bet, but you still need to back up your data.

Raid 1 or 5 offers redundancy, but you don't get the performance of raid 1.

In all honesty, though raid 1 and 5 will allow you to replace a failing drive, it's still wise to back up. Raid is not a backup solution.

I run raid 0 and raid 5 on my system. My system runs off the raid 0 array, and my data is stored on the raid 5 array. This way, I get the redundancy on the important files, but I get the performance of running the system on raid 0.

At the end of the day, all of my data files are backed up as a precaution.

Paul