Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis question

cobra95kev

Hey guys,

I uploaded a small STP file (4thaxisquestion.stp in X2 files folder) of a part our production manager wants to run on our 4th axis.

There is a little difference of opinion between us on how this part will come out if we cut this on a 4th axis vertical rotating about X and keeping the y at centerline of the part and only moving X about the profile as it rotates.

If you look at the top of the part at the .472 radius bulb it kind of dips as it transitions from the 2.0" OD to the 1.506" ID. If I cut this as I stated above will that dip show up?

I have never cut a part with the 4th axis rotating

is there any tips you guys could give? Would this be a good part for axis substitution?

Thanks a bunch

Kevin

I have uploaded (slydman_4thaxisquestion.mcx) you will find another solid that i created from the original solid to compare.

The way that has to be machined is on your 4th axis setup as you described, you need to make a 2d XY movement to follow the shape curve than make a rotation 90deg and redo the same movement.

You will get exactly what you need

I gave the part a quick glance and parts I have seen like this drive a cam or having something following them. I do not have a print and without knowing 100% what the part is I would always treat it this way unless otherwise directed it is just a simple contour. The suggestion it would need Y axis milling makes me really think that is the case on this part. I could be wrong since I do not have the print, but I will always error on the side of caution then on the side of thinking anything is a slam dunk part.

HTH

I don't think this part is even drawn correctly, and I think Ron is right in thinking it is a cam. You can't really make this part correctly unless you know the diameter of the follower. Then unroll the geometry, offset by the follower radius, and use THAT as the drive geometry. You might have to use stock thickness if the cutter isn't the same diameter as the follower.

quote:

If you look at the top of the part at the .472 radius bulb it kind of dips as it transitions from the 2.0" OD to the 1.506" ID. If I cut this as I stated above will that dip show up?

Looking at this thing I would say no. Looking at it twice and then three times, Mike@Apollo has it nailed.