Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam / Solidworks

Paul McGarr

I know a lot of you use Solidworks as well as Mastercam. I have a question for you guys...

In Mastercam, getting information about a solid face is easy using [analyze-dynamic]. Is there a fast way to get information about a face in Solidworks?

I've been using Mastercam forever, and the dynamic analyze function is great. I hope there is a feature like that in Solidworks because the [measure] function is time consuming to use.

Anybody have any ideas?

Paul

For example, I am trying to satisfy the need to answer questions about a model that I am working on when the boss comes over and asks questions about it.

In Mastercam, I can get information about any feature by simply clicking on the feature and dragging the cursor around. It's very fast, and I am used to it for checking radii, draft, depths, etc. Just click on a face and you get everything you need to know.

In Solidworks, I need to use the measure function and it's time consuming and embarassing. When I get asked for information, I like to be able to supply it in a second or two, not 20 or 30.

I asked this at the SolidWorks forum, and people agree that the measure function is kind of clumsy.

My question here should have been more direct. Is there a SolidWorks equivelent to Mastercam's Analyze-Dynamic?

Paul

Paul,

I am not sure what you're quite trying to accomplish.

If I pick Measure and set it to "Show XYZ Measurements"

Any face I pick on, displays the information about it, to include, diameter, perimeter and area.

If you click the "double down" arrows and show the result field, you can right click delete and existing queries while moving on the the next one.

To me it seems the information is there and available. So I am guessing I am missing something.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm learning. My gut...SolidWorks is kind of clunky in this area. Not complaining because I am really liking everything else about SolidWorks. I am by trade a Mastercam guy. I've got 15 years with it. Now that I got my hands on Solidworks, I CAN'T WAIT until Mastercam for SolidWorks comes out.

Best of both worlds with that partnership!

Thanks again everybody.

Paul

It will be a while to learn something new but it all pays off in the long run.

Old fashion: 2D drawing and cut.

New fashion: 3D model and cut.

With the advance of parametric modeling, Just my opinion, the new fashion is much faster and more accurate with the complex part than the old fashion.