Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Finish Flowline -

EazyE

I am using a finish flowline to cut some circles 1.0 dp with angled walls - everything works fine but there are 12 walls that i select as drive surfaces - the problem is that some of the walls are cutting top to bottom and others are cutting in a circle motion - Can anyone tell me why this is happening.

Take the time to make sure the surface are only as one surface at each hole even if you need to make new revolved surfaces. Also you may need to break each up at an operation to get direction correct. May also want to check normals though I think you are good since they are all cutting on the inside and not the outside of the holes.

HTH

EazyE,

I have been using a lot of flowline toolpaths lately. If all the surfaces you are cutting are the same just in different locations what I recomend is getting the first one to work the way you want then doing a transform by coordinate toolpath to finish the rest. This way if your first toolpath starts from the top all of the transform operations will start from the top as well.

quote:

the problem is that some of the walls are cutting top to bottom and others are cutting in a circle motion

The reason for this is the way the surfaces were constructed. If all the surfaces were made exactly the same way you would see the paths consistant at ea. hole. When constructing the surfaces start your chains at the same place on ea. hole.

I use flowline most of the time for drafting my surfaces and I try to make the chaining of the surfaces consistant. There has been talk of this before on the forum and that's how I learned of it.

EazyE,

I agree with Bjorn on this issue. Rick's suggestion of using Contour might help as well but I find the Contour toolpath to produce too many plunge and retract moves. Read up on the Finish Blend toolpath. Finding or making proper boundaries is all you really need for the Blend to work. It usually makes one plunge and retract point. This keeps the tool on the surfaces you want to machine no matter what direction they take. HTH cheers.gif

BTW, where in Mass. are you? Our reseller is an excellent source for Mcam support and learning. Their name is Services Four Automation and they're located near Leominster. wink.gifbiggrin.gif