Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid Works Graphics Card

M_CODE1

I know this is a Mastercam forum, but it seems that many people on here have Solid Works also.

I'm having trouble with the program shutting down every now and then. Contacted the reseller and they told me that I need to get a new graphics card, because the one built into the motherboard was not powerful enough. I believe they want me to get an Open GL card from either NVIDIA or an ATI Fire GL card. Seen that the cards range from about $200 to over $2000. The lower end ones have 256MB and then a Mid range on has 512MB. I was told that the more you spend the better card you get, which I know is true. Wanted to know what other people are running on there systems with Solid Works, and if they have has any issues with the card they currently have.

If you have an integrated card, I would start with the investment of a new box with expandable equiptment. Integrated systems tend to be in my opinion a PITA to split apart, not to mention find compatible parts for.

As far as what to get do a search for the benchmark post. All the info has been covered there.

A lot depends on what you're doing and what

version of SW you're running.

My 2 year old Dell work station completly

chokes on SW2008 so I replaced it.

If you're doing small parts and simple assemblies,

you may get by adding a good Nvidia GeForce gaming card

to your existing system.

I have no idea what kind of expansion slots your existing

motherboard has, so its nearly impossible

to make any kind of accurate recommendation

quote:

GCode what is the configuration of the new system that you got

Check out my siggy at the bottom of my posts

I got it from the Dell refurb site for $2100

and paid another $150 for an extended 3 year warranty

This is my third Dell refurb..

never had any trouble with any of them.

+1 for Dell refurbs. You can't get a better deal. go to their website and then go to the outlet. Bought my $2700 laptop for $1400 and a $250 printer for $90. They are not all refurbs. Some are made to order and then the order gets cancelled so they sell them at a highly reduced price to move 'em out.