Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

covection or climb cut

tonyc

IM cutting 1/4 acrylic motor speed 24000 rpm feed rate 325 to 400 ipm .The cutter is a half inch up/down compression bit.I was wondering what would be the best direction to cut covection or climb and why? IM trying to get the best edge on part.Im taking a full dia cut all around part. I dont want to make a finishing cut its not in the job price.I convection cut all my acrylic but is there something im missing about climb cutting

In this case I would say if you are not cutting off excess, but slot milling not matter what you will be climbing one side and conv one side so you will know what you want by the shinny side. If I were taking a finish cut I would climb since it will pull the chip away from the surface and not push it into the surface.

HTH

I agree with crazy millman. If you are taking a full cut the only differance is what side you want a nice finish on. And in my experience plastics do tend to chip more while climp cutting if you do not have the proper lead out. As for the small endmills in our shop we believe if you convetional the endmill tends to flex towards a vertical wall and in many cases will undercut. Basically in most cases anything under 1/8 we try to climp cut. Not sure if thats entirely true in acrylic.