Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A word about Vista

Tim Martinez

I got this from our Director of Operations.Thought I would pass it on.

"I received a phone call today from Verisurf’s Dell rep. and he informed me that Microsoft has had a change in their stance regarding Vista being mandatory on all computers starting in June. Mike said that as of June 13th, Dell will be allowed to sell computers with Vista Bonus or Bonus pack. I will ask Mike to confirm the proper name. The computers will be shipped loaded with XP and an accompanying CD of Vista will be also shipped for customer to load at their convenience. Dell will be able to do this until Dec. 2010."

Thought some of you might want to know.

I will be curious to see if this is ALL their systems or just select boxes(ie: highend)

If it doesn't encompass all their systems it will have a small impact on Vista from a support position meh thinks.

Of course what as support nightmare Dell will create for themselves if people try to actually upgrade to Vista over XP.

Clean installs are the key to a good Vista installation wink.gif

quote:

I think we will see that Vista is going to be like Windows ME.

I was actually one of the people that bought the ME "Upgrade" on it's day of release. Needless to say, I went back to Windows 98 less than a month later.

I currently have Windows Vista Premium on my laptop (came with it). I also have XP on three desktops at home and Linux on my old laptop.

To date, I have seen no Microsoft product I would even put in the same trash can as ME.

Personally, as I said in another thread, Vista is OK. Power hungry... Yes - Different... Yes - Annoying at times... Yes - Here to stay... I would say Most likely.

I've had my computer running vista ultimate for just over a year now and I absolutely love it. Its very stable and I have yet to find any applications that dont work after a bit of tinkering, and most work great straight out of the box.

I just installed X2 a week and a half ago without any kind of clean install, my wife and kids use this computer, and it works great.

I'm not sure why Vista got the rap it did, but I'd recomend it to anybody with a decent computer. If your not sure about your hardware performance, microsoft does have a application that rates your computers performance for using Vista.

I dont think thats a fair statement. As any other company would, they arent interested in continuing to support and or sell an obsolete product. The largest PC maker is in fact trying to dictate what operating system microsoft has to continue to produce.

Like I said in my first statement I dont really understand why Vista got a bad rap. There was a pretty good jump as far as the hardware required to use it, but with the computer hardware market being what it is it really isnt any huge expense to bring your pc up to date.

Lets take a look at machining, does MA Ford or Destiny continue to produce the same end mills that they started out making? No they dont, because they have a better product. They spend more money on equipment and such to make it and in turn you pay more for thier products, but in the end everyone benefits from it. And you buy a new vf-2 to use them rather than using your 20 year old vf-2 because your old junker is slow. Do you hate Destiny for making new end mills?

I find most people dont see the value in computers and dont want to pay anything for it, and so you get people hating microsoft for using the same practices any other company would.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents. Hopefully I dont get flamed to hard for defending microsoft lol

rshields,

While I run and like Vista, I can not use it for the CAD/CAM stuff I do, so I run a dual boot system.

Vista has not fully implemented OpenGL 2.0. This is the code that makes nearly ALL CAD/CAM/CAE softwares run on the graphics side.

Performance of this software has been on the order or 50-80% degraded. Until MS implements OpenGL fully or the software writers decide to embrace DirectX 10, which seems unlikely, Vista will be relegated, in CAD circles anyways, to nothing but a waste of time.

From a Mastercam standpoint, you can run Mill 1 and lathe without too much problem. Working with Mill 3 and solids and/or surfaces can be an excruciating process because of the graphics.

I would reformat and run Vista exclusively today IF I have the software support. Until then, Vista needs to be an outsider in the "professional" CAD community.

[ 04-26-2008, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: JParis@CNC Programming Solutions® ]

whew I thought I was gonna get really roasted on this one firebounce.gif

Thanks for takin it easy on the noob lol

I did notice graphic problems with some of the solids and surface stuff but I thought it was my junky vid card I've got. And while I'm working on it I'm definately not into anything super advanced, so I can understand why alot of you are frustrated with the vista push.

Anyways, hopefully we'll all see a happy ending to the whole scenario.

Hey John,

I just loaded SP1 on the new box I built over the weekend. Haven't had time to play with it yet such as overclocking, etc. I was interested to see that using a sidebar gadget "CPU Meter" that supports Quad Core, etc. Mastercam does seem to hit more than 1 core when processing. I didn't expect to see that happening. Built up a Phenom 9850 with 4 Gigs Corsair in a Full Tower case. Lots of air flow with 6 fans. It is running VISTA Home Premium