Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Feed Mill Sparking

cajahawa

Hi guys, I just got a new Iscar feed mill 1.25 dia. I'm cutting durabar 80-60-03 2000 rpm @.035 depth of cut. I'm getting a lot of sparking. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? It seems like the cutter is dull only after a couple minutes. Thanks Wayne

Thanks Robert, I'm actually trying to figure that out. I run 2 Mazaks one says it has air blast but I haven't had a chance to try it. The one I'm using is much newer but I can't find it in the manual. So I may try rigging something up. I did take murraymolds advice and slowed my spindle down and increased my feed.That helped a lot. I think another problem, may be that they didn't have the tool I ordered so I had to get a longer one. It's hanging out 4.12" So I'm thinking that may be causing a little excess chatter.

you def want some air hooked up. In p-20 I can run a 2" feed mill 1400 rpms 120.ipm with a .05 doc i am not sure of run time because it roughs fast and the off to next tools, I can rough alot of cores and cav material before rotation.

Mr. Dayshift - Are you talking about feedmills wet?

I have had no luck running wet at all. Thermal cracking destroys inserts WAY before they wear out cutting dry or wif air.

Have yet to destroy an insert without coolant.

We have even run dry in Finkl DC, a difficult High chrome Moly H-13.... biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...