Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Finally ... Haas t5c 5AX is here !

HEED

And I sure do have A TON of questions about it. How do you set TLO's, how do you align the axis on the machine ? I feel like I am starting all over again. Who's responsibility is it to help with this Haas / Mastercam Rep ? I feel like both should be involved, but it's a lot of over lapping information. As this is our shops first 5 ax system, no one knows a thing about it, is there a basic handbook or online tutorial or anything that I could look at I know this website is pretty awesome for questions answered but I also don't want to wear out my welcome. Thanks for input

Jesse

You can get a 4/5 axis mill training book from IN HOUSE SOLUTIONS,

web address:www.emastercam.com. As far as training from Haas we bought a Haas VF-5TR in Jan. and the saleman for this area told us there wasn't any training classes for a 5 axis. We had a Haas app. tech come in for a few hours to go over the basic operations and controls and that was it. See if your MC reseller has a 4/5 axis class you can attend. That helped me learn a lot! Also you'll need to get a good 5-axis post. My reseller did an outstanding job of assisting me with my post and answering all of my questions. And last but not least use the forums search, lots of good info there.

no 5 axis guru for sure but

i think i would set tlo at center line of a axis.

you will need to know center line of rotation of both axis's and enter values in post for it to calculate code.

looks like a pretty cool unit. are you doing true 5 axis parts on it or positional?

just curious, let us know how it works for ya.

Doug

Thanks for the replies fellas Yes we purchased the unit new from HAAS and it is sure sounding like they dont offer / dont want to train on it. My MCX dealer said he would come and show a little on MCX and get the post working ETC., but as of right now the unit is on my mill, just hangin out. I am just having a really hard time finding anyone that knows / will train on 5x stuff. Especially anyone that is not across the country. I am not dumb I am sure I can figure most of it out, but I cant help but think that someone from HAAS or MC would speed the process along. My MCX reseller gave me the generic post, and sounds willing to help me out with post edits , etc. As far as full 5x work, I am sure that we will get into 5ax work eventually that's the plan, but as for the first little while, it will be 3+2 work, at least until we can get operations down.

Heed,

IF it is anything like a 5 axis Router you will need to have a GOOD post for it I would think that your MC dealer can get it if Haas does not supply it to you (they should... Haas that is)

In practice the post will ask you piviot length that is the length from the tip of the tool to the center of rotation that moves the tool from vertical. Now if you use "Tool center point" programing then you would enter ZERO when posting in MC and put the piviot length in the tool length table on the CNC control. Again if it is like my xxxxor 8055M controlled Quintax

It is really not that hard you just have to be careful that you don't rotate the head into something. as you are developing the program... It is not as simple as 3 axis where you only have to worry about the tool holder clearing in Z.

With 5 axis you got to watch everything retract moves rotate moves approach moves... The works....

Just play around first and keep the feed rate down and one hand on the override (to stop it if you see a crash coming)

Have fun !!!!!! 5 axis is Cool

I could get some I didnt' think of it yet... I know that 5 ax is the bomb diggity as far as machining goes I have been doing this for only about 6 years, but it has been my goal to someday get into it. It is sure daunting now that I am here and feel clueless, but I know a lot more about it than I think I do, it's all just moves and axes , etc. Just a new learning curve ! I look foreward to it actually I am really excited about it, I am just also frustrated that there isn't much support from the companies on it. Is there not very many 5 ax shops around? Not very many programmers ? It seems that 5ax programmers are few and far between and they like to squander information wink.gif Thanks for the comments so far I absolutely love this webiste for this reason.

Yep, that's the baby... I just made my first 5 ax cut ! I have questions though. I am cutting a simple square, then cutting chanfers on the top, with the tool normal to the vector on the chanfer how do I tell MCX to start and keep the a on 45 rather than -45 ?

Hi heed, The machine you have (or attachment) is commonly refered to as a "trunion" machine. I programmed HAAS trunions for a while and there are many different ways to approach them. Like stated before you will need a good post and learn the term "stack height" (refering to the distance between center of rotation for axis 4 and bottom of part) then usually X Y offsets will be the center of rotation for axis 5, and gauge length (common reference point on a tool holder to the tip of the tool). Typically then the tool will touch off of the stack height and all of your Z's will be positive. It's really hard to look at a program that uses this scheme but I found it the simplest.

I can come up from Ft. Worth and get you rockin but it's gonna cost ya biggrin.gif

Dennis

quote:

I just made my first 5 ax cut ! I have questions though. I am cutting a simple square, then cutting chanfers on the top, with the tool normal to the vector on the chanfer how do I tell MCX to start and keep the a on 45 rather than -45 ?

check out your Misc. Values, misc integers. If you are using MPGEN5AX, with the last one you can set the tilt direction preference.

Thanks, James I knew that it had to be in the misc integers, but I didnt know which one to change, I was playing with the initial primary and secondary, it didnt' seem to change much. What do the initial primary and secondary change?