Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

accurate center drill geometry is req'd.

Mr. Dayshift

Hello everyone,

I need to be able to define center drills #0-#5 more accurately for milling tool library.

Maybe I'm missing it in one of the mill libraries?

Can anyone confirm DRIILS.zip on FTP works?

Please, not comments regarding spot drills, it's off topic here.

Thanks.

The bottom line is if you "really" need it accurate then you need to draw it and define it as a custom tool.

The definition in the tool library does not take into consideration the tip length.

I'd use a spot drill instead

biggrin.gif

This is a big gripe for me! I really wish MC would fix this so you don't have to draw up a custom tool for ever center drill you use! I personally would love to switch to spot drills, but I don't pay for the tools, and have been told we'll keep using center drills. mad.gif

quote:

custom tool for ever center drill you use!

Actually... If I remember correctly... I modified the original Mastercam Center Drill file and saved under a new name and now MC scales the geometry for each size as needed.

Since I replaced the original geometry with a more realistic shape I have been very satisfied with the accuracy in backplot & verify.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ummmmm.... there IS a standard for Centerdrills, but every center drill manufacturer makes theird different. I've never been able to measure a centerdrill from two seperate companies and have the measurements be the same.

But, YES, being able to better define them instead of having to vreate a custome tool would be a better solution. I put in the request a number of years ago.

Center drills are for making a 60° cone with clearance for the tip for a center on a lathe tail stock (or cylindrical grinder centers).

When you drill a 118° drill into a 60° taper the drill squawks and dances around. A spot drill has a 118° included tip like your drill, so your drill will immediately cut on the same position as your spot drill. Way more accurate and less abusive on the corners of the cutting edge of the drill.

1. they have a thin web so you can cut faster without creating a lot of heat or worse breaking off that little tip on a center drill

2. the whole idea behind a spot drill is that your drill makes initial contact with the center of the drill on the workpiece. So if you are using a 118 degree drill use a 120 degree spot drill.

3. using a center drill will make the the drill contact the workpiece away from the center of rotation, since it is a 120 degree included angle it will contact at the small pilot diameter, causeing chatter which will be bad for accuracy as well as the drill.

4. Using the wrong angled spot drill is worse than using a center drill. If you use a 90 degree spot drill with a 118 degree drill, when the drill comes in it will contact the workpiece at the diameter of the drill which is as bad as it gets for chatter.

5. don't use a 90 degree spot drill just so it puts on a 45 degree chamfer, use the right sot drill for the drill being used. I assume because carbide drills are usually much more rigid, and shorter, I was always told not to spot drill when using them. I don't know if it matters?

HTH