Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam x2 and solidworks

RObert TImby

Morning Everyone,

Quick question for the solidworks and mastercam guys. Why can't i open three M/C's while i have solidworks open? If i don't have Sw open i can open three or four M/C at a time with out a problem. But if i have Sworks open i can only open two at a time I tried to use the mastercam direct that i know it works and it crashed everytime but if i close the second M/C that i have open it works. Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks

Solidworks is a massive, memory and paging file resource hog, Mastercam is pretty hungry aswell.

You start opening multiple sessions of hungry programs like that and you WILL get instability, strange behavior, unexplained crashes, out of memory errors.

All kinds of problems.

Even the most stout of computers has limitations on how many programs it can run before you bring it to its knees

You know, I'm not going to say that i'm an "expert" on something i don't know to much about, but you would think that if i'm running 2 cpus running MC on one and SW on the other with 4 gigs i should be able to run what ever i want cuz i'm not using all the program at once they are sitting on the bottom hidden and inactive. I know they are drawing some ram but not much and if they were i could it by programs that i'm running would be slower which they are not.

All I'm asking is for a simple reason why? is it my system needs improvement going to a 64 bit with more ram or what?

1st unless your runnin Vista your not getting as much as your 4 gigs as you may think. Second Sworks 2008?, and if youve done your homework your system is what I rec just for sworks 2008, Resource HAWG you should whatch your task manager with that many instances. I run 2 sworks instances, X2MR2 and tax my system which is a Intel Core@ Quad 2.4 with 4gigs and XP pro 64bit. I had Vista but it doesnt play well with Solidworks (64 BIT with Large assemblies)yet so I downgraded back to XP.

You need to go to quad core processor, Ram is good at 4 gigs, and increased FSB speed I didnt know much about this until Sworks 2008 but its far more CPU demanding than any other version ever. Also your trying to split the affinity you still only really have 1 processor, its not 2 independent CPUS (As I understand). dual core is minimal for any 1/2 way complex Solidworks modeling You add filleting and coring and shell features you will not be able to open more than 1 sworks and 1 Mcam without issues.

Mold100, your thinking of Hyperthreading, an Intel feature of Pentium 4. It could make Windows think there were 2 processors when only one was there. Core 2 Duo actually have procs, Core 2 Quads stack two of those for 4 actual procs. Each 2 cores have a cache shared between the two however a Xeon quad allows use of both caches by any one cpu. With C2D cache is shared by one other core.

And your right, launch task manager & go to performance tab then watch the actual work done during several instances of MC or SW.