Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WHAT SHOULD I GET "HONESTLY"

Leocam

Our company has come under new management and currently we are using Mastercam. He wants to go with Unigraphics. Now mind you we are running some 5-axis machines and money is not the biggest of issues here.

But Honestly if you guys could choose and know mastercam or unigraphics would you rather know UG and operate that over Mastercam. Or would you rather have been a mastercam user.

Please reply.

Unfortunately, the company I work for is buying unigraphic$ also. I have done extensive research on this particular subject and from my findings (taking cost out of the equasion for your particular situation) if you are drawing complex assemblies unigraphics wins. On the cam side so far (with the 5 axis advancements MC has made) you don't gain much with UG. Everyone agrees the learning curve in UG both with drawing efficently and toolpathing at all is as much as 10 times longer.

Now my opinion- If I were Bill Gates and needed to kick off an efficient machine shop- I would buy Mastercam level 3 with solids and all the translators.

Ok, I've gotta ring in here. Yup, UG SMOKES mcam in it's design capabilities. No doubt. And for most applications, mcam SMOKES UG on the cam side. BUT, one thing UG has now that mcam does not is a graphical post editor, which is much more customizable than mcam's post. Granted, right out of the box, mcam has more posts, and they are usually very reliable. BUT, UG is catching up on the cam side.

Please don't get me wrong. I teach both Mcam and UG cam, and I'd MUCH rather use Mcam. Additionally, (like someone else said), the learning curve of UG is HUGE compared to Mcam.

I guess my point is that, for now, Mcam would be my choice for CAM software.

(Hey PDG, how's your graphical post editor coming??)

Very respectfully,

Mike R.

Humble Mcam user

Hi Leocam

First do you have Mastercam V9,if you do you know that Mastercam is getting stronger and stronger in 5axis with the new Multi surface 5axis,and if that isn't enough for you,you would maybe like to check out the CAMAIX 5 axis chook,you have a lot of powerful tools in 5 axis. In that chook you alose have options of tool and holder check,and a lot more,maybe you should ask your dealer to show you that chook,i think it will make you reconsider UG.

http://www.camaix.com/English/indexeng.htm

Do yourself a favor LeoCam, don't deny yourself the opportunity to learn UG. There is no doubt that UG has a huge learning curve but thats up the user and his ability to learn and understand the software.The company I work for does very complex 3d mold cavities using UG, Solidworks and Autocad for design and Smartcam, UG and now Mastercam for cam. Yes UG can be very frustrating during the learning process but this has been the case with all of the mentioned softwares for me. UG has capabilities built in that I have yet to find elseware. As a fairly new MC user Im not here to bash anything just tell you my experience. smile.gif As for a preveous thread about a UG user forum I checked it yesterday for a reply and the cam forum had about 5000 postings, but you have to be a registered user with a passkey in order to login. Just thought I would put my 2 cents in. cool.gif

quote:

As for a preveous thread about a UG user forum I checked it yesterday for a reply

Notice the date on the link to the thread I posted. I am a registered member (JAMMAN was taken so I am 1JAMMAN) and have had several replies since the thread I linked you to- it just took them a LONG time to reply. Replies on this forum SIMPLY THE BEST FORUM OF ANY TYPE ON THE WEB only take minutes. That was the point- the forum, not the software. biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Do yourself a favor LeoCam, don't deny yourself the opportunity to learn UG.

I could not have said it better myself. Don't deny yourself the opportunity to learn anything! In today's workplace, the flexible, knowledgable person gets the jobs and the $$$$$$!

Here's my one concern though, UG's learning curve is so HUGE and if they are going to spring for UG are they going to expect great things right away? If so, that may sway my thinking a bit. I'd try to see if the UG rep will allow you some training and a bit of seat time before making a decision one way or another. Because if you can get a good feel for it, and your job dictates you doing design work or you are conteplating a career change (towards design/engineeering) in the next say 5 years, it may pay off in the long run to go with it. Make sure that the company keeps your Mastercam up to date though because UG programmers are PRICEY!!! and in case you need to get that RED HOT job done in a hurry because nothing happens in a hurry in UG.

JM2C

As far as things getting done in a hurry goes let me give you an example. Yesterday I tried to put toolpath on a solidworks native parasolid about 600 total surfaces. After staring at my 1.9 ghz p4 for about 35 min. I shut down the program and decided to compare apples to apples. After importing the part into UG, using the exact same stepover and cut pattern I had tool in 7.5 min. biggrin.gif Go figure. So now I have to reply to my supervisor when he asks me how long a part will take to program, I just answer I Don't Know. Be careful of the statements you make if you can't

prove them.

Because when MC is processing, the prompt line reads 5/600 SURFACES 10/30 slices processing. I did use the entire solid as the drive geometry which probably contributes to the exessive processing time and yes I did have the skip hidden face option on.

For Scott (Hardway)

Hey Scott lets meet a Dawee's on Friday, I'll spring ("BYON" Bring your own Napkins) let me know if you can and what time. If you can meet another day this week let me know, actually any day this week will work.