Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SPLINE TO CURVE

Rakesh

Break many pieces works, but it does not produce arcs.

I find the best way to do this is to Make a contour toolpath with cutter comp off, and zero for everything.

in linearization tol set your desired tolerance. For the filter set the desired tolerance (this should be at least 3X more than the linearization tol).

Now just backplot, and hit the save as geo button. This will save to lines and arcs.

quote:

Break many pieces works, but it does not produce arcs.

The option is there in the ribbon bar, but whether it works or not is a different story.

I use Alvaro's method. I have an operation saved in my library that has all the right settings. It takes about 20 seconds and I have lines and arcs.

Thad

Hey toolmann,

After changing to arcs you can use the tolerance, # of arcs to break into, or length of arcs to break to. I have to do it here on some router parts every so often and have not had any trouble lately. I had some trouble in X but not since X MR2.

This is how I do it.

I create a spline in Mastercam, edit, trim break, break many peices, select the spline to convert to arcs, end selection, pick curves, use the tolerance tab, set to .002, set delete, it should preview showing the arcs in blue and showing the endpoints of the arcs, hit green check mark to finish, analyze and you should have arcs now.

If it is still giving you trouble something may be corrupt in the install because it should be working.

I was really struggling with this yesterday.

I just tried break many and set tol to 0.002 and amount to one and it created a line.

This what I would have expected, however it is kinda hidden in a function that doesn't shout out convert.

It would be good if it were on it's own.

quote:

Is it possible when we use create curve on all edges of surface or solid, only get the output in lines and arcs not to have any spline?

Rakesh, I'm almost certain that this option doesn't exist.

quote:

I agree this function seems to be buried where you would not expect to find it.

After reading the "V9 to X function map" in the documentation folder, it's exactly where they said it was. wink.giftongue.gif

Thad

Asking for no splines would be impossible, unless your tolerance is very loose wink.gif For instance, if your part is a piece of round bar stock, your edge curves are on the ends. If the end is cut at 90 degrees, the curve would be an arc, if it is at any angle, you'll get a spline. No way around it.

Hi Thad,

This may be so.

It's just that one shouldn't have to go to so much trouble to find it.

I even searched the help contents and couldn't find it.

It's not really a Break Function. More of a Convert Function.

Just a thought.