Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hardmilling Stainless

Rosko

Hey guys, I have some ESR 420 stainless @52 Rockwell to hardmill and was wondering if anyone could provide me with some starting speeds and feeds and depth of cut etc. The cutter is a Millstar bullnose endmill, 6 flute .1875 diameter with a .03" radius, AlTiN coated. The only info I'm finding with these cutters from the manufacturere are for their ballnose selection which I don't think translates over to a bullnose very well. I'm waiting to hear back from them but I thought that I'd check here as well as I know alot of you are hardmilling on a regular basis. Thanks in advance!

I heard back from Millstar and they said to run it at 300-400 sfm with .0008" - .0012" chip load finishing at .0012" depth cuts.

For the .1875" cutter with a .03" corner radius he said to figure RPM for a .125" diameter so I came up with ~6000 RPM and 36 IPM feed. So far so good, its cutting like butter!

Thanks for the help guys!

+1 to hardmill-

I run 420 52 rc right around 600 closer to 660 on my roughing sfm, with a .0006 to .001 chipload. I generally use mostly Jabro (seco) tooling exclusively. I run down to a 1mm ball at 600 sfm or close to it. The biggest issue with 420 is it actually isnt hard enough, its more gummy than say 56 rc S-7, or 54 H-13. Comparable to your millstar typical for me is a 4mm bull nose (.0197 cr)that I would run in exact same material is 14000 rpm material @ 54 imp for roughing .015 doc and 60% step over