Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining a taper

CNCMike

Hi Guys,

I am having a hard time getting the tool path I want for machining a shallow taper. The part being programmed has two parallel surfaces with a height difference of about 1/4". The surfaces are connected by a angled surface several inches long. When trying to machine this angle the tool path generated is a back and forth motion (X-axis) with many passes. (I used parallel rough or finish rough tool paths).

The part in question was programmed long hand before we started using MCX2 and a 3" face mill was used in a single pass along the Y-axis. It would machine both flat surfaces and the taper in one 3D pass. Of course this left a slight curve on the part because of the curved cutting surface, but in this situation it is very acceptable.

The reason we can't (don't want to) just use the old program is because we are trying to standardize our programs to MCX2. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it! BTW, the controller being used is a Fanuc OM.

Thanks, Mike

If I understand correctly, you want a single pass Y axis motion then Y/Z ramp up then another Y axis move. You could simply use a contour (3D). And chain geometry that matches the numbers in your current program. In this case you have calculated the tool offset amount and are programming direct tool center. This would work since you already have the numbers in a program.

I think the best toolpath starting from scratch (ie with the 3 surfaces modeled) might be a curve 5axis with output set to 3 axis.

You would draw the cross section, copy it in top view and create a ruled surface between the two contours. Use that surface for the curve 5axis toolpath.

Use Tip Control "on projected curve" and Projection "normal to plane".

If you want to use one of the surface toolpaths you will have to change the cut direction and then play with the stepover / tolerances to force it to give you a single pass.