Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

line tangent to arc

Norcen

I've used M.C. many years, but am new to MC X.

(X2 MR2(11.2,3.28)

I'm trying to put a line thru a pt tangent to an arc.

1)Select an arc

I click on the arc

2)select a tangent pt on the arc

I have no idea where the tangent pt is.

I've tried clicking on the pt I want the

line to go thru & it makes a tangent line,

but nowhere near the pt I want it thru.

I've tried clicking the arc again, it makes a

tangent line at a random angle.

3)select the 2nd end pt

this seems to have no function, except to

the establish the line length.

I'm sure I've done it before in MC X, & seem to

remember stumbling around til it majically worked.

What amI doing wrong.

Thanks

It "sounds" like you may just want Create >> Line, and then use the tangent option, which is the red line with the blue arc icon next to the blue plus sign on the selection toolbar.

tangent.png

Norcen,

Sounds like you found the normal tangent creation options. If you want to create a line that is tangent to an arc, it is sometimes helpful to hold down the CTRL key, which temporarily disables the autocursor. The autocursor can sometimes select the endpoint, midpoint, or quadrant of an arc, which does not let you create a tangent line. If you hold down the control key, the line should appear and maintain dynamic tangency as you move your cursor around the screen.

There is also one more option they brought back from V9. There is a separate command called 'Create | Line | Tangent through a point'

This forces the line to be tangent to the existing endpoint of an arc, and you get to specify the length.

HTH,

Looks like you got it now. Just create line and use the tangent on tangent off button. Make sure you select the arc and not its endpoint or midpoint. Same thing for creating tangent arcs, use create arc 3 points and toggle tangent ON/OFF as needed. Or you can use tangent arcs for 2 entities, 3 entities, to a point, etc. - like you did in V9. But they already explained it enough.

Cool background, JP. I've tried it, but switch back. Maybe I'll find a gradient background I like and save the conf. file. I normally use default, white screen, and seldom black screen. I use white screen background for blueprinting (black and white printer).