Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

curve 5x rapid hits part

Steve Hattori

Simple answer, No, not that I know of.

Just need to have the retract high enough... Or if there is any way to buld your geomtry to stand the tool up to a 0,0,1 vector at the beginning and end of the tool, it might work better.

It is one of the dangers of Rapid 5-axis positional moves. You never really know where the tip of the tool is going to be as it tracks on the machine. With G/L and pivot distance calculations, it can get pretty dangerous.

Some machines have the capability to track the tip of the tool(TRAORI, G43.4) but most don't.

Edit:

If it is between toolpaths you can drive a curve-5axis toolpath with defined vectors at a clearance to position back to the right location, but if it is a multipass or depth reposition, this will not work.

MLS-yes its a multi-pass op. The control (heidenhain) takes care of it between paths, but this path's nci only puts out xyz moves, no A orC, so it goes where the nci tells it...damit. The adv 5x paths don't do this between passes, they all move to clear in the tool axis, then stay at that distance from the part throughout the rapid move. I was hoping there was a button I missed somewhere.

I was not able to get an adv 5x path to cut the way curve5x does, but I'll try again...

Iskander- it does this in verify and in simulation as well, but only between passes in the curve5x op, not between ops..

Thanks all for the help!

quote:

In places like that I use Point Toolpaths to make intermediate rapids out and around the part. Its kind of a pain because you have to break the 5 axis path into single pass segments with the point moves in between.

That's an option - I use that with 3-axis paths,

There's the "ref. point" option I have used with success under toolpath parameters.

Also, if the toolpath is good minus the rapid, could delete that point

Iskander- it does this in verify and in simulation as well, but only between passes in the curve5x op, not between ops..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Disable retract ,leave only clearence .

I saw this thi8ng couple of times ,it can be bug .

Yet I never informed QC ,cause i can not recreate it in X2

Are you sure you are cutting part -read code .

In my case it was only simulation problem-both veirfy and backplot .the machine code was OK!

Well it should go to your clearance plane.

I have seen it a time or two where it would retract/clearance at the end of a cut then Rapid directly to the retract plane at the beginning of the next cut, but mine seems to be working correctly now. Might be an intermittent problem.

I'd try Iskander/Fig Sign's suggestion about disabling the retract plane... I am an idiot compared to him. wink.gif

MLS and Iskander- eliminating the retract plane causes it to rapid direct from the end of the cut to the beginning of the next cut, without retracting...since those points are 180deg from each other on the cylinder, it goes straight thru the the part. So, that actually does what is commanded for a change!.. I just need to command it to use a cylindrical clearance plane instead of a flat one.

I got around it using an adv 5x path- they all seem to understand its cutting cylinder, and do the retract and move to next cut correctly.

Thanks!

Steve,

One option I use often is to create another 'Curve 5 axis' toolpath to move the tool where you want it.

We have some of the same issues with large fixtures. Rather than using a large clearance, retract points, or 'Point' toolpath, sometimes it is quicker to create a spline that you want your tool tip to follow on the return path, and use some vector lines to postion the tool on the path.

Just another option to consider.

HTH,

quote:

how do tell it follow ANY geometry on a retract pass between cuts

1. backplot the 2 cuts and save the geometey

2. delete everything but the retract vector of the first cut and the approach vector of the second.

3. draw a line (or arc) btween them

4. create a 5X curve toolpath on the line you drew

use the approach and retract lines as axis vectors

zero out all the settings ((retract, clearance, depth etc)

set comp off and the feedrate at 400IPM .

put this toolpath between the 2 cuts

and you have a totally controllable G01 raipd (400ipm) move bewtween 2 cuts.

You can use the filter and cut resolution settings

to control the number of lines the post outputs

I've used this method to keep a tool down inside a part dancing around at 400ipm for 20 or more cuts.

It was worth all the work to see the look on the operators face smile.gif

quote:

but this all inside one op with depth cuts.

no can do. with regular Mastercam 5X

The advanced 5axis toolpaths can do what you're trying to do..

None of it is documented in "What's New" but

Advanced 5X got some pretty good tweaking in X3..

You can spend days exploring the

power available to you on just the Links page

alone..The advance 5x stuff has got some serious power, but the logic of it is completely different than what you're used to.

In-House has a tutorial and the default install puts one in the documents folder

Speaking of power.. I spent the day at an NX6/

SolidEdge seminar... wow !