Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 or X3... how to specify default location of CAD files

Thanks for the reply John but thats not what I'm looking for I'm afraid.

I have a customer who stores all of his STL files (for Verify and stock definition type things) in a folder outside of Mcam. So for example whenever he wants to load STL stock for Verify, the file select window always opens the normal DATA folder in Mcam. Same thing happens when picking a file for STL compare.

I'm looking to change that default folder.

Rich,

The default folder path has been removed, since X2 MR1 I believe. It has been requested to be added back in numerous times, at this point is is gone from the software.

They need to be handled on a case by case usage at this point.

I would suggest you add your voice to the requests and submit it to QC as well.

Here's a brief explanation of what I think you feel has changed...

Ever since the 1st release of X, File/Open and File/Save have been used for ALL file types, so the need for separate folders has disappeared. Having said that, there was some talk a while back of letting Verify recognize a separate path for STL files. I believe those default to the "Data" subfolder.

In settings/config/Verify settings/ select file for stock shape, hit the folder button and select a file(a dummy .stl you will later delete) in the folder you want it to default to. save your setting and then try a verify. Now delete the .stl from that folder and try verify again, windows/mcam should remember the path from that point forward.

Rich,

Pete's explanation of the "disappearance" of the non-Mastercam file defaults is correct, as everything is done via the new (they aren't that "new"!) style File-Open (SaveAs) dialogs. (No more File-Convert-IGES sequence that would "know" to use a specific configured file type path).

And with the addition of the Configurable Places Bar, it was reasoned that the user could easily setup 'defaults' for the types that they use. It appears that many users are not aware of this very nice feature! ;(

Think about how (Windows std style) File-Open (and File-SaveAs) dialogs work using a 'Files of type' dropdown with file type "masks". If there were user configurable path settings for these file types, each time you change the 'Files of Type' setting the 'Look In' path would instantly change to that configured path. This is definitely non-std Windows behavior!

*That said...

I submitted a (DO) proposal early last week to ->

Add User Configurable Paths to the Files page of Configuration. There would be a 'Configurable Path Settings' for each non-Mastercam file type mask. Note the term mask! This means for example that DWG and DXF would have a single path setting that would affect the File-Open (and File SaveAs) dialogs, as they "share" a single file type mask.

Also, as previously mentioned that this auto instant change the 'Look In folder' when you select a different 'Files Of Type' is non-std behaviour and not all users may necessarily appreciate this behaviour, the proposal also calls for an Enable/Disable switch on the use of these Configured Default Paths in the File-Open (SaveAs) dialogs.

After all of that...

The location where Verify looks for STL files is a (slightly) different subject.

Maybe that needs it own (more obvious) separate setting in Configuration - Files?

quote:

The location where Verify looks for STL files is a (slightly) different subject.

Roger,

Are you referring to the fact that the Configurable Places Bar doesn't exist when browsing for STL files?

While on the subject of data paths, I would also like to add that there should be a default location when importing operations from another MCX file AND have it remember where it looked last.

Thad

quote:

Are you referring to the fact that the Configurable Places Bar doesn't exist when browsing for STL files?

? Not sure what you are referring to, as you can create a Places Bar item for this location.

quote:

While on the subject of data paths, I would also like to add that there should be a default location when importing operations from another MCX file AND have it remember where it looked last.

The Import command (from the popup menu on the Op. Mgr) always defaults to the OPS file location and looking for the (default) OPERATIONS file. I don't see how we could really add a default MCX folder to this interaction, but remembering the "last used" (within the current session) - maybe...

quote:

? Not sure what you are referring to, as you can create a Places Bar item for this location.

I don't see the Places Bar when attempting to pick a STL for compare, or stock setup. It's like it's a different type of File-Open dialog box. It's shows the standard Windows shortcuts to Recent Documents, Desktop, My Documents, etc. They can't be changed.

quote:

The Import command (from the popup menu on the Op. Mgr) always defaults to the OPS file location and looking for the (default) OPERATIONS file. I don't see how we could really add a default MCX folder to this interaction...

I see your point, but do you see the inconvenience of defaulting to the ops folder when using the browse option to import from another MCX file? Of 80,000+ seats of MC, I'll bet there isn't a single MC user who keeps .MCX files in that folder. biggrin.gif

Thad

"...doesn't exist when browsing for STL files from verify."

Mastercam X3 ->

Within Verify, on the Verify Options dialog with Stock Shape set to 'file'.

Click on Browse button (to the right of the 'Stock file' textbox). The Mastercam style Open-File dialog appears with your Custom Places bar. Select the 'place' you've configured for STL file location and off you go...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this thread has been busy, sorry for disappearing, I've been working away quite a bit recently as well as doing plenty of training.

Going back to my original point, I think a default path for Veriy STL files would be a good idea, whether in the Files page of Settings/config, or the Verify page.

My original query was about setting a new default location for STL Compare and initial stock files for Verify (I just didn't mention it straight away). Setting a "my location" shortcut would be a good idea as it turns out, but a way of setting a default folder would be the icing on the cake smile.gif Thanks all for the replies and discussion.

Rich.