Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New user simple die question

TrevorH

Hello, I am a fairly new user (X2 Mr1), and I have been reading and learning here as I work towards completing my streaming teacher X2 certification classes. I have found the classes and the posts here to be very helpfull, but now I have a question concerning something that is beond the scope of my training so far. I would like to know if there is an "easy" way within mastercam to create a very simple set of stamping dies that allow for the clearance of material of a given thickness. Put another way I need to create a set of dies for stamping very simple shapes with a female and male half that fit together with a specific gap, say 30thou between them to allow clearance for a sheet of aluminum. I realize that I may be asking for a little much given the level of experience that I currently have with Mastercam, but I guess that that is the point of wanting to learn. I have no problem creating one side of the die, or the other, but I cna't figure out a way to make the male die "undersize" to allow the clearance that I need for the aluminum sheet to bend without pinching. I also respect that proper die design allmost certinally takes years of experience and alot of training, but you have to start somewhere. I look forward to any suggestions that you may have. Thanks!!

Trevor

If your goal is to DESIGN the die, I'd say use Ocean Lacky's advice. If you already have the die designed (not yet accounting for material thickness) and your goal is to MACHINE the die, I say use Eric's advice and cut negative stock on one half. I've machined dies both ways.

Thad

Me to Trevoer newbe compared with most here anyway.

but in reading your question and taking it one step further. Are youy able to put a negitve number in the stock to leave seeting??? you know when for wotever reason the part is a little big and you wont to run it again before taking it our of the machine?? Just wondering

quote:

Are youy able to put a negitve number in the stock to leave seeting???

Yup, you certainly can.

quote:

you know when for wotever reason the part is a little big and you wont to run it again before taking it our of the machine??

The best way to do this with a 2D toolpath is to use wear comp. Adjust the dia or radius in your tool table at the machine and run the program again. For example, when skimming in the walls of a pocket. This method doesn't require reprogramming.

As far as 3D surfaces cutting the part "a little big," that's another issue. Generally speaking, this doesn't happen. Maybe the tool length was not set properly, which would leave it a bit tall, but it wouldn't leave the same amount of stock all over. Or maybe certain areas would be a little big if the tool deflected in some spots. The toolpath follows the surfaces so it has to be right, except for the types of things I just mentioned.

Thad