Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

can't open 2nd session

gibbs machine corp

My work M90 won't run a second session of X3.

granted I have aother things running on the system as well. My home system does without issue.

My own personal opinion is multiple sessions should not even be allowed.

But that is only my opinion

We have 4 seats of X3 and this is the first and only one to develop this problem. Most of the time I have 3-4 X3'z open, Autocad, and playing MP3'z so loud I can't think straight. I had a lot of trouble installing X3 after we put the new hard drive in. Maybe it's just me but installing any version of Mastercam is an adventure. Far from trouble free.

quote:

I'm interested in hearing your opinion as to why?

I have people have MANY problems, directly atrribitable to multiple sessions.

Over writing files by having multiple copies if the same file open.

System instability and crashing

Are just a couple.

To me, a program that needs, requires AND uses many system resources, it is foolish to run mutliple sessions.

Try having a guy call and complain about performance and you view his system and he has 6 sessions of Mastercam running

quote:

Are just a couple.

To me, a program that needs, requires AND uses many system resources, it is foolish to run mutliple sessions.

I figured crashing was a problem.

I never even thought about having the same file open twice or more. I was thinking different part files.

i have x3 open 3x plus edgecam 12.5, mp3 folder, windows media player and no problems.

i program offline so i need more than 1 mcx open at time.

quote:

I have people have MANY problems, directly atrribitable to multiple sessions.

Are just a couple

you just have to watch what file you are working on. i have never opened the same file twice cuckoo.gif

but each to there own

JM .02 biggrin.gif

It is nice to be able to open more that 1 part file when you have 7 cnc's running up to 7 different jobs. I remember when I first started programming bad things with file seemed to happen, almost always my fault. Some people don't realize (my boss) that I can't design a part in 1 window while I'm toolpathing in another. I only work in 1 at a time but I'm too impatient to stop what I'm doing, save, and open a different file just to see what's wrong. It's usually the opereator mucked up the setup, but that's another thread we will save for a rainy day. bonk.gif

I regularly run 2-3 sessions of Mastercam. I do think generating big surface toolpaths in two sessions at the same time on the same computer is not a good idea since I've had problems doing that in the past. But having one session crunching toolpaths and doing some 2D toolpathing and geometry editing / creation in other sessions hasn't ever been a problem for me with vX and above.

As for overwriting files, performance complaints, and suchlike, that's not a software issue at all. That's entirely a blob between the chair and screen problem which often can be fixed with some persuasion by a clue-by-four.