Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Hours

Greg_J

The owner of the company I work for asked for the machine hours on the mill I run, so I found a page in the settings tab that says power on, operating time, cutting time.

Rough estimate.

Power on time is 32723 hours, is 3 years 6 months

Operating time is 1111, 46 days

Cutting time is 5213, 217 days

The controler is a Fanuc 16-M, could those times have been reset?

Also whats does operating time mean? I looked in the book and it wasn't clear to me.

When it comes to power on, does that mean the controler on or the main switch on?

Often the main switch is left on but the controler is shut off.

Thanks,

Greg

I hope I have this right but Operating time is how many hours the machine is prouducing parts, running ect. It counts total time the machine is actualy running. Cutting time is time in "G1" mode. All of the timers are based on control on time. Usualy the Operating time is larger than cutting time, some one might have reset the timers.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Power On time I believe cannot be reset. The others are fair game.

Power On time is just that, Panel On and Control On. The Operating time looks to have been reset at some time. Operating time counts up when the maching is in-cycle IIRC.

I have 16-m controls and you can reset the operating time and the cutting time. We reset that time every morning and record what we got the day before. I have a form we fill in every morning before we start. It only takes a few seconds to do. It also challenges us when we see the time from the day before. We like to try to beat it. Numbers do all the talking.

All of them can be reset...at least on the machines here.

As some have stated:

Power on time is the amount of time the machine is turned on.

Operating time is the amount of time that the machine is operating(running a program).

Cutting time is the amount of time the machine is in a feed mode, it doesn't account for rapid moves or tool changes, etc.

With your cutting time being longer than operating time, it has definitely been reset at some point. All of them should be able to be reset individually.

"We reset that time every morning and record what we got the day before. I have a form we fill in every morning before we start. It only takes a few seconds to do. It also challenges us when we see the time from the day before. We like to try to beat it. Numbers do all the talking. "

That's nuts. cuckoo.gif Do you get a star at the end of the week if your times are the best? The last time someone tried to pull that competition crap with me, I poked him in the eye, put Exlax in his coffee, and my time for THAT day improved dramatically relative to his time. This is one of the last items I need to add my list of things to do.

Want to beat it everyday? Run a warm-up sub-prog that cycles at the end of every program, that way, the machine timers will only stop when your loading parts.

Hey Rookie,

I am looking at my screen right now as it runs, on the Fanuc 16-M under the settings tab and it calculates Operating time in Hours, Minutes and Seconds. Right now I am boring G76 and the Cutting time and Operating time are both running.

smile.gifsmile.gif

To anyone,

This is one thing I notice with Mastercam, I am boring four holes, two on B0 two on B180. I Created two programs one for each side, using G55 on one side and G56 on the other. When I group post the two together, in the second Can cycle line it leaves out the Q value so it won't pull off the wall when boring. Does MC have a bug with that, or is it in the post?

What do you think?

MotorCityMinion,

Those numbers get me new machines. There is a reason I keep track of the hours. The times we record are a positive thing not the crap that you talk about. You always have to better yourself. When you see what you had the day before it mentally challenges you to do better, at least it does for people that don't complain.

If you would start trouble just for recording numbers maybe you should go into another trade. There are a lot of people out here that would step in your place and not complain. With that kind of attitude no wonder the United States is in trouble.

Someone was asking a question and all I did is answer and explain what we do.

We have an ancient Mazak T2 lathe and every time the power blinks and I have to enter the 10,000 paramaters after re initializing the controller everything resets to zero. No idea how many billion hours it has run.

Sometimes it takes us a half hour to get it started in the morning, memory parity error. I don't keep track of that time.

Greg,

About the 'Q' value in the boring cycle... That value is modal, so MCAM won't post it in successive operations in which that value remains the same. You have force the output in the post. For example, in the drilling section of my post the asterisk in front of shftdrl$ is what forces that value each time, no matter if it changed or not.

Hope this helps,

code:

pmisc1$          #Canned Fine Bore (shift) Cycle

pdrlcommonb

pcan1, pbld, n$, *sgdrlref, *sgdrill, pxout, pyout, pfzout, pcout,

prdrlout, *shftdrl$, dwell$, *feed, strcantext, e$

pcom_movea

Jeramiah,

Yes it is modal, but because MC post a G80 it cancels that code. Below my posted code.

N160 G00 G90 G55 B180.

N170 G00 G90 X7.937 Y0. S370 M03

N180 G43 H47 Z1. M07

N190 G99 G76 X7.937 Y0. Z-18.3 R1. Q.01 F1.5

N200 X-3.313 Y0.

N210 G80

N220 G91 G28 Z0. M09

N230 M05

N240 G00 G90 G56 B0.

N250 G00 X-7.937 Y0. S370 M03

N260 G43 H47 Z1. M07

N270 G99 G76 X-7.937 Y0. Z-18.3 R1. F1.5

N280 X3.313 Y0.

N290 G80 M09

N300 G91 G28 Z0.

N310 M05

N320 G90

N330 M30

Thanks for anwering my question, I thought it might just be the post. biggrin.gif

cheers.gif