Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DRILL 1.5 DIA THRU 1" INCONEL

Scott Bond

Good Morning

I would like your opinoun.

I have to drill for a 1.800 dia. hole thru

1" thick Inconel plate.

50 taper machine -rigitiy of the machine

and fixturing will not be a problem.

75 parts total with one hole thru each.

What speeds and feeds would you use for

this 1.5 dia drill ?

Go with insert type drill.

Komet, Iscar, Valenite, etc. all make good drills.

Go with their speeds and feeds, mabey 10 percent less.

Keep the feed up because if you don't it will work harden and you WILL be screwed!

Do you have coolant thru?? High pressure??

Sandvik's inserted UDrills work very well for us, no coolant thru might be a bitch, though. Definitely keep the speed down and the feed up or the stuff will get so hard you'll blow the drill up for sure (it'd probably be worth a conservative peck if you can't get the coolant to it).

C

Depending on the orientation of the piece - Horizontal or Vertical - I would be inclined to helical interpolate and then clean up with a boring bar. I'll get to the bottom faster, chips will not be a problem, and who needs coolant thru.

Try it, Sandvik's 390 or Iscar's Helimill. Get the sales guy to bring it into your shop on "TEST". This way he/she is liable for getting the speed and feed right and will supply another cutter if he/she melts that one.

Driving a spade or a udrill on a vertical machining centre without guarding is a reckless and dangerous proposition. With these types of tools, you have to run fast without chip control. The stringers will whip and shower the shop in debris. This is why I also suggest a helical approach with a milling tool.

Inconel isn't all that nasty if you respect it. Don't tickle it - cut it. Let the tool do its job.

We always use u-drill tool type for this kind of job... biggrin.gif

We don't have any high pressure or coolant thru. the only thing is to be sure to put the max coolant on the inserts... That's why we connect a garden hose on the coolant pump so the operator can spray directly on tool... cheers.gif

I have to agree with Andrew, If you don't have the proper guarding in place, BE CAREFULL.

If you do have a fully enclosed machine, the same insert tools ramping with high pressure coolant (500 psi and up) are almost scary with the speeds and feeds they are capable of.