Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Boring issue

Reverend Turk

I am boring a reverse nose cone. I am drilling in first and then wanting to use a boring bar. The issue I am having is that the bore wants to rapid to the deepest part and bore from the inside out. This would crash the machine. I want to bore from the outside in to gently take away the left over stock from the drilling operation. Is there a way to do this?

Are you trying to just bore a cone with a larger diameter at Z zero tapering down in diameter as the cone goes deeper into the part?

If so, you should be able to do it by having the chain go from the large diameter at Z zero into the part. This will work for roughing as well as a finishing pass.

I would also turn reference point on and have it approach and retract to Z.1 or so.

Define stock and turn on "use stock as boundry" (or what ever the phrase is).

Phil

Ok..so I can not upload the file to the FTP and I can't get the boring bar to start at the large end of the hole and work it's way down to the small end where the cone shape is. Why would the tool want to start so deep in the part and then back itself out when it would be easier to start at the large end and this way you work your way into the small section.

Check carefully that your tool is defined exactly as you are using it. Then make sure you define your stock acurately. Your stock definitiion greatly affects the way your tool will rapid in and out of the part. You probably know all this but it is something I overlooked when I started using lathe and I scratched my head quite a bit until I figured it out.

Bare