Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam on Linux

Rob @ Target Machine

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the southpark mac-ms-linux clip. smile.gif Good stuff. smile.gif

Kind of missed on the games dig. There's a Gamer distro out there, as well as a Studio distro.

Eventually all OS's would find themselves on even ground.

Bill Gates just had a head start, and a lot of money to delay the inevitable. After all, how much more can an OS do anyway?

I won't lose hope for linux just yet...

But for now.....

Hurry up Mac - I know you can do it.

http://live.linux-gamers.net/

http://ubuntustudio.org/

Graphics drivers are a major issue with Linux gaming today. For example my PC at home has dual GeForce GPU's running in SLI mode on Windows but the Nvidia driver for Ubuntu Linux on the same machine doesn't offer that option. The only way to do a fair framerate benchmark (measuring rendering performance) between Windows and Linux on that hardware with say America's Army is turn off one of the features in Windows the computer was explicitly built for.

The reason I mention this is that CAD/CAM developers would be faced with this and many things like it in a Linux port.

Richard M. Stallman's worshipers and the hardest core Linux faithful do not help this cause either. If they had it thier way companies like CNC Software would put themselves right out of business by giving away thier intellectual property and trade secrets in the form of source code for Mastercam.

I had the same problem with the SAX Gamer distro -- limited drvers. For the amount of money I spent on X2 I'd gladly go get a new graphics card. I wish it was so simple for my laptop.

Obviously that would be a big issue, but it hasn't even been fixed in windows yet. My resellers' fix was to turn off harware acceleration to make Mcam stop tweaking out.

That worked fine on my tower, but not my laptop. I've tried upgrading my drivers, but that didn't change anything. Maybe a framebuffer problem? I don't know laptops well.

Anyways I never meant to suggest that CNC Software go Open Source. Than would be crazy.

I was only looking to stir up some thoughts that might lead us thinking about a multi-platform direction.