Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Post issues with v8.1.1

Thad

1) When posting the first program, MC saves the posted file to the default directory, but when posting more programs, it doesn't remember where the last one was saved and I have to retrace the path again for each program I post. How do I make it so it remembers where it saved the last program, just like when saving the .MC8 file?

2) We want our posted files to have a .txt extension. I'm using the same post that I used with v7.2 that gave me a .txt extension, but it doesn't work with v8.1.1. This tells me that it's not a post setting, but a MC setting. I've gone into Screen/Config... to change the default, but that box is greyed out. How can I make the default extension on posted files .txt?

Thad

I downloaded the updates (8.1 to 8.1.1) from MC's website. I was told by the local distributor that I didn't need the Mpparam.exe file, which is also available at the MC site, so I just used Mpmill.exe. Does using the CHook that you mentioned do the same thing?

We have 2 posts, one is for a Tosiba boring mill with Tosnuc control and the other is an Okuma VMC with a Fanuc 15M control.

Thad

quote:

To specify the NC filename extension you can add (or set if it is already there) the SEXTNC line in your PST file(s) -->>

SEXTNC ".txt" # This post output .TXT file.

Thanks Roger, but this post was already outputting a .txt file when used with v7.2 and now it doesn't. (If I'm not understanding you correctly, please explain further.) That's why I believe it's a MC8 setting that I'm missing. As mentioned earlier, the file extension default is greyed out when I go to set the defaults...and I can't figure out why. I used the CHook that Kevin mentioned to update the posts, but then 4:30 came around and I didn't get a chance to post another file to try it out. I'll check it out in the AM.

Thad

Thad,

As per Rogers reply, go into File - Edit - PST, open your post and search for the string "sextnc". If the extension portion of the posting is greyed out, it's probably because this is already set as default in the post.

Change/ or add the line in Rogers reply and you'll get what you want.

Luc

quote:

Change/ or add the line in Rogers reply and you'll get what you want.

I tried it when I got into work this morning and it worked. Thanks Roger (and Luc).

When updating the post to v8, it must have reset the default. I don't know why they would do that. Anyway, another problem solved. smile.gif

Now, if I can get my posted programs to keep on saving in the same directory, I'll be all set. Any ideas?

Thad

quote:

1) When posting the first program, MC saves the posted file to the default directory, but when posting more programs, it doesn't remember where the last one was saved and I have to retrace the path again for each program I post. How do I make it so it remembers where it saved the last program, just like when saving the .MC8 file?

Anyone?

Thad

Thank you for your reply Millturn. I have set the default like you have described. Here is my situation. Each detail has its own folder. The path to the detail folder is F:job#2dprogdet#machine to be posted to. There is really no good directory to have my default set to since every new det gets its own folder, so I have defaulted to F drive. On any given job, I'll post out 5 different programs. When I post the first program, it defaults to save it to the F drive. Then when I post the second one, rather than "remember" the path where it saved the previous file, it defaults back the F drive again. I have to follow this path back each and every time I post a program. This is what I don't like.

Now, when you save a file (drawing), MC remembers where it saved the last one and it saves the new file there also. This is the situation that I'm looking for with my posted programs. V7.2 remembers where it was saved/posted last and so does every other Windows based program on the planet. How can I get V8 to do this?

Thad

Well, the short answer is that you can't, at least not directly. What you can do is put a checkmark in the 'edit' box when posting, then save the file using PFE32, which does remember where you put the last file you saved. You can use a script file (i.e. a windows batch file) to delete the 'orphaned' .nc files in the default directory automaticly at start-up.

Taking a quick look at the posted code isn't all that bad a habit to get into. If it saves you having to negotiate the directory tree every time you post, well then that's just gravy.

Thad,

First, the UPDATE procedure on your post(s) would NOT have changed any settings involving the NC filename extension. It was possible in MC v7.2 to directly edit an entry in the MILL7.CFG file that would set the extension for all NC files no matter which post you were using. Using the SEXTNC setting in each PST is the way to handle this now.

As for output paths, have you ever tried the SETDIRS C-Hook? It is something you may find useful.

quote:

First, the UPDATE procedure on your post(s) would NOT have changed any settings involving the NC filename extension. It was possible in MC v7.2 to directly edit an entry in the MILL7.CFG file that would set the extension for all NC files no matter which post you were using. Using the SEXTNC setting in each PST is the way to handle this now.

I stand corrected. Good call Roger. I had edited the .cfg file to get it to output .txt files.

quote:

As for output paths, have you ever tried the SETDIRS C-Hook? It is something you may find useful.

I'll look into the C-Hook. Thank you for your help.

Rick, thank you for the optional work around.

Thad

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

V9 "remembers" the last path used, as long as you have not restarted Mastercam. Along with a TON of other nifty features, this one is very helpful for me for the same reason it would be for you. My path usually looks something like this d:projects4flight12345671234

Thad

Are you using a custom .cfg file assigned to the post? I have found this to be a problem with forgetting the path. After I removed the assignments and use mill8.cfg, I haven't had any problems. I also use the setdir c-hook to set all the paths at one time.

Ed