Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Duplicate tool checking

Thad

What is the criteria that MC uses to determine duplicate tools? Whatever it is, I think it's slightly flawed. Tell me if you agree.

I have a .437 dia drill that is T14. It's a M12 ream drill. I also have a .437 dia drill that is T17. It's a M10 clearance drill. MC considers these duplicate tools. Do you think they should be considered duplicates?

In my ops library, I have drilling, tapping, reaming, etc sequences saved for each size hole. Each has it's own spot drill that goes the desired depth for that particular size hole. A die shoe might have 15 different hole sizes, each one having it's own spotting operation. When I import these operations, MC detects that the tools are duplicates (message: A similiar tool already exists in tool list. Add another?). I always say no to this because I don't want 15 spot drills cluttering my file. The same clutter would happen when importing ops to pocket, then contour with the same face mill. So, what ends up happening when having M10 clearance holes and M12 ream holes in the same file is MC detects a duplicate tool. I click "No" to import a duplicate and MC uses T14 instead of T17. All ream drills are T14 and all clearance drills are T17.

I even made one tool .437 and one .4375 to seperate them. MC still considers them duplicates.

I have different tool numbers, different tool descriptions, and different diameters, yet MC considers them duplicates...because they're both drills? I think that's flawed. What do you think?

Thad

thad

im not to hip on the "check duplicate tools" either.i say when you bring in ops it should bring them just how they are, you saved them for a reason even if you had 10 1/2 endmills who cares those are the ops you want

i have disable duplicate tools checked on

Duplicate tool messages I find happen when:-

1- an tool number is already used in another "Toolpath Group" under the same machine ie. replicates the tool carousel on the machine as you "load" it up

2- Moving from one toolpath group to another or importing operations that have the same tool

( I'm assuming it copies the tool to keep the operations parameters intact and not replace them with the "generic" settings of the tool's parameters

3- Ah yep, I did stuff-up and duplicated a tool, Duh banghead.gif

Thad,

quote:

I even made one tool .437 and one .4375 to seperate them. MC still considers them duplicates.

Did you change those diameters inside the "library tool" before adding it to your "part tool"

I have tools in my libraries like the following:

"1/2 FLAT SEMI" with a dia value of "0.5001"

"1/2 FLAT FINISH" with dia value of "0.5000"

That .0001 is enough to prevent them from being considered duplicate.

Since I changed the diameters the only pop-ups I get are when tool numbers conflict.

This eliminated roughly half of the problems I have.

I also type in the tool number and description inside the comment box of every operation that I EXPORT to ops library,

That way when I import I can go back and see if MC changed something on me.

Using MASTERCAM X2 MR2

quote:

Did you change those diameters inside the "library tool" before adding it to your "part tool"

chipman, I don't use the tool manager to add tools to the job. I have an extensive operations library that I import from. When I need to use an uncommon tool, but a tool that's in my tool library, I import the closest operation, then select "get library tool" from the first parameter page. I don't remember for sure if I changed the diameter to .4375 in the saved operation (I kinda think I did) or in the tool library. I'll have to try it all again.

quote:

That .0001 is enough to prevent them from being considered duplicate.

Since I changed the diameters the only pop-ups I get are when tool numbers conflict.

Are they the same tool number? You have duplicate tool checking on?

An interesting thing to note about tools that are saved in operations libraries...they don't have to exist in your current library to use them. It's like they are saved inside the operation. For example, you could create an ops library with the tools in your tool library, then delete your tool library and you could still use your ops library. Similarly, any changes to your tool library are not updated in operations that use that tool. That's a good thing (in my mind), but it can also be a pain in the butt when you have to make changes in multiple places.

Thad

Thad,

My tools have that diameter difference inside of the saved ops, along with a majority of my custom tool libraries.

quote:

Are they the same tool number? You have duplicate tool checking on?

Yes sometimes they will come in as the same tool number, and yes I have duplicate tool checking on?

Thad,

I'll run a few tests in house to see if we can come up with the same results here. In the meantime, could you tell me what version you're running? We've spent a lot of time trying to fix operation-related bugs in the past version or so, and knowing which version you're currently running might help us narrow down if you're seeing a new bug or if you're seeing a bug we might have already fixed.

Thanks,

Mike,

Per my sig, I'm running X2 MR2 SP1. wink.gif

My earlier attempts to correct this with different diameter tools were all done through my ops library by editing the tool in the operation. Today, I created a new tool in my tool library, then in my ops library, I selected the new tool. Now the .437 and .4375 tools don't trip the duplicate tools alarm. So, when I get time, I'll have to create the tools that are duplicates among my drilling/tapping/c'boring cycles and assign them to ops in my library.

Based on what I saw in my tests today, something in the operation saved in my library was causing this and it looks like it's going to be a closed issue. I just have to find the time to mess with it.

Thanks to all who replied.

Thad