Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

combining 2 files??

buck30

yeterday i got a file sent to me to program, just got it finished when "oops here are a couple of features the engineer forgot" he sent them to me in another file. How can i move these new features on to the first file?? or create a new machine operation and move that operation over to the first file??? hope this makes sence

Check out File >> Change recognition

It will allow you to import the new file and compare it against the existing file, it will show with paths are valid on both and which need to be update.

There should be a sample file to show how it works as well.

hth

quote:

Merge the new file onto a different level and work off of that.

how????

Let's say your 1st file and the new 2nd file are using Level 1-10 for your geo. Open the new 2nd file and edit it to use Level 11-20, save it. Now open your 1st file and use File/Merge, navigate to the 2nd file and bring it in. Now you have both files on separate levels that you can turn off and on as needed.

I use a similar technique to IowaJima's. It takes a little more time than his but it works good for me. I take the file that I want to merge, which is usually new cad data, and open it up in mastercam and see which levels are being used. I then go back to the Mastercam file that I've already worked on and move the levels in that file that will be occupied by the newly merged file but before I do that, I'll put a small circle off to the side of the part, then move all the other geometry to the new levels. Each original level gets the same circle copied over to it. I then do a screen stats on the cleared out levels to verify that only 1 entity exist. This helps to keep me from doing something stupid before the merge. Always back-up the original. Then, I merge the new cad data, (not the .mcx) that I first looked at.

Sounds like a viable option worth exploring, which I'll look into, but having more than one option is is what makes MC good, especially when your winging it.

OT: John, I finally finished that SW file I asked you to critique for me. Without a doubt, it was the wrong part to draw for a first time project and I had to move on to some simpler parts to help clear my head before I got back to that one. I'll send you the cleaned up version soon.