Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Edit Common Parameters

Toonz

How stupid is that?? In X3 when you go to edit common parameters it will ONLY edit operations in the current machine group!

What?? Are we too stupid to know which operations we are selecting? Whether they are in multiple machine groups or not, I want to be able to select them all and edit them ALL!!

Does anyone else find this to be incredibly annoying and totally ridiculous??

If any of the software gods are reading this post.....give us the option of selecting ALL groups or only the current group!!! It worked just fine in X2, don't "fix it" if it ain't broke!

In addition I just discovered that it will not allow me to "edit common" on the last machine group AND it triggered another problem (on 1st seat) that we have been having on our second seat, whereby the red arrow, will rip it's way thru and expand every operation in the manager every time you exit the Verify function.

How about looking into this and see if a patch is warranted for this problem?!

I'd like to see a patch long before X4 is out as I don't enjoy wasting time editing for 20 minutes when I should be done in 1. Not to mention the added time I will be waiting for the red arrow to do it's little dance every time I verify now (multiplied by two for both seats).

Well gcode.....you are one of the lucky ones.

Ok....let's try it this way.

For all of you out there. Try selecting multiple operations in multiple machine groups, and then try to Edit Common Parameters. You don't actually have to change anything.

First when you do this, do you get a message that reads: "Some selected operations are not in the active machine group. Only those from the active machine group will be edited." (this is the message I get every time now in X3MU1)

Second, if you get the above message, try to run Verify on any given part within the file. Then carefully watch your operations manager when you exit verify. Does the red arrow race from the top to the bottom of the manager? And if your ops are collapsed does it expand them?

Toonz..

I misread your original posts.. I was thinking

Toolpath Groups not Machine Groups..

I would aurge that not being able to mass edit mulitple Machine Groups is not a bug, but an intentional feature..

With multiple Machine Groups, you could have

a mill, a lathe a wire edm a router or any combination of these four in one file.

Being able to mass edit multiple different Machine Groups could cause all sorts of unintened consequences.

Most of the options for "edit common paramters"

on a mill don't even exist on a lathe.

How can the software know what to do, if you are trying to mass edit functions that don't exist??

We program for one machine, but we use the machine groups to program multiple parts (usually an assembly) as individual parts thus separating them via the groups each with their own WCS. This also works well for 2 sided parts. As I stated in my OP that this was not a problem in X2 I could mass select all ops in all groups and do what I needed. Often it is needed to change to a different tool or to change material thickness or clearance planes. We routinely have as many as 50-60 machine groups (parts) within a given file. Some parts may have only one or two ops some may have 30-40 ops. Regardless of the number of ops, if I have to go thru 50-60 parts (and their respective ops) one at a time, how much time do you think I will have wasted as opposed to being able to select them all in one fell swoop??

I do believe we are all wise enough to pay attention to what it is we need to change within the ops we generate. Again as stated in my OP they can easily put in a toggle switch or radio button to allow us to select among ALL groups or just the active one!!

If its all the same mcahine, you can do exactly

the same thing you're doing now.. except use

Toolpath Groups instead of Machine Groups and

you will have all the functionality you used to have.

That doen't help a bit with your current files though.