Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Bizarre import ops problem

gms1

I have a file that is similar to another part file I already created. So I want to import the operations from another file and just repick the geometry. Simple right? I've done this countless times. Now on the last couple files it isn't working correctly so I'm hoping someone here might shed some light on what I'm missing or doing wrong.

I open the new part file. I setup my WCS for the new part. I right click in the operations manager and select import. I scroll down to my file, and I select "Assign current system tool and construction planes" and/or "Import operation's geometry" (I say and/or because sometimes I don't want to import geometry).

As soon as I do this, it deletes ALL the tools from the file that I have already created leaving just dirty operations saying tool does not exist. When I open up those now dirty ops it only shows the tools from the operations I just imported. The tools that were there are completely gone.

Any ideas why this is happening???

I have a clean install. I do not have assign tool numbers sequentially, warn of duplicate tool numbers or use tool's step, peck coolant settings checked. I'm just stumped in the middle of crunch time frown.gif

I had this happen today and think I've found the problem.

The source file was done in X2

I opened it in X3 and saved it..

then used it as source for some toolpaths..

All the tools were blown out of my X3 target file..

I believe the solution is...

make sure your source file has.. an X3 machine def

and an X3 tool library loaded before using it

as a source for import oprerations.

I saved my source as an X3..BUT IT STILL HAD AN

X2 MACHINE LOADED AND X2 TOOLS IN THE LIBRARY..

When I used some of its operations in a true X3 file.. all the X3 tools ( and 200+ operations) were destroyed.

i've had similar problems which i posted about earlier. gcode's answer seems pretty close to me.

it's like the ops manager has logic problems now that it didn't have before, and it's related to the machine manager.

something else i have noticed for a few versions is sometimes when you try to select an operation, you can keep clicking on it but it won't select it until you click on something else first and then go back and select it.

or when you redefine geometry in a contour path, after the chaining dialog box disappears, you are automatically unselected on that operation. my instincive move is to click regenerate as soon as the box disappears, but you get the message that no operation has been selected. so you have to go back and select the operation you were already working in.

it's not a big problem, but it doesen't seem to be functioning properly.

I was going the route of thinking it has something to do with my machine configs. The new file is a catia solid model translation only opened in X3 MU1. And the file I am importing my toolpaths in from was done in X3 MU1 as a catia model. The only thing it shows in the descriptor for the new file is my tool library I am using as a work around for this problem.

The work around I am using is to import a couple toolpaths at a time, save those tools to a seperate library then when I import more toolpaths I reload the tools from my seperate tool library for the operations it deleted the tools from. It's a PITA when I have 130+ toolpaths but it's the fastest thing I could come up with.

Just another update.

As soon as I open the import menu and select the file I want to import from it deletes all the previous tools. I don't even have to import a single operation. I can open the import menu and select the file then close it and all the tools are gone. I'm going to send this one in to qc to see what kind of response I get.

[ 02-12-2009, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: gms1 ]

I've had this problem in the past...

always importing ops from an older version into

X3

I had one that I could reproduce a few months ago

I sent all the files in with step by step instructions. QC called me and we walked through it on the phone.. We could not reproduce it on thier systems.. very frustrating..

I remain convinced it has something to do

with the machine defs/tool libraies being an older

version.. That has always been the case when I had this problem.

X3 into X3 .. no problem

X2 imported to X3 maybe yes maybe no

One thing I've found though.. once you've had a file blow up on import.. you cannot fix it so imports will work on that file. Something internal gets corrupted and as soon as you open

the import utility your tools get stripped from

the file..

gms1... are your running on a network??

by that I mean.. are your machine/control defs

and tool libraies on a network or on your C drive.. I'm just looking for common ground..

All my tools and machine defs are on the network,

accessable by all the programmers..

I have seperate folders for X2 and X3 machine defs.

All my libraries and configs are stored on the computer I am using mastercam on. We are hooked to a network but all my files are local. The only thing that reaches out to the network are my automated back up files, only when I save a file.

Further update on my predicament. I opened the file I am importing toolpaths from (created in X3 MU1) and exported all the toolpaths with geometry and disabled tool checking to an operations library. I can import directly from the operations library fine with no problems, but as soon as I select the mcx file that I want to import from it deletes the tools immediately.

At least you've found a workaround.. that is more than I was able to achieve..I'll try that the next time this issue bites me..

this confirms my findings.. something in the sourse file gets corrupted and destroys the

tool library of the recieving file as soon as the 2 link together...

it disproves my theory about older/newer versions though as both your files started as X3MU1..

Is there any chance that some of the tools you are using originated in X2 or earlier..

sometimes when I bring in an older file X3 demmands I update the tools.. other times it doesn't.. headscratch.gif

Unfortunately all the tools were created in X3 MU1 frown.gif . This family of parts are new products for us so all of the tools in these parts are created fresh on X3 MU1. I do agree with you on the X2->X3 bug and I have gotten the same thing you describe when importing those toolpaths.

I still haven't heard anything from Cnc yet.

I wish we could find some common ground so we can stamp this out.