Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How many of you guyz are still using 9.1?

Daniel M

Still using V9.1 here because we switched to Catia 2 years ago and (managers) tought we were to swap overnight and invested a lot of money in Catia, Icam and Vericut but lately, I figured out that we were still supporting so many jobs that were done in MC that we would have to use MC for at least 2 more years and onvinced them that it would be great to take advantage of enhancements. We're waiting for updates of 2 current licences + 2 more. This is the only reason we're still using V9. Can't wait to play with X.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Still using V9.1 here. The brass got me X last year and I worked with it about a week and loved it. But I had issues with Block Drilling (fanuc/router). So rather than spare me from the duties of running the shop, they hired a local geek squad who has never seen Mastercam, to deal with the issue. He convinced them that X has bugs that wouldn't allow us to drill. So they got me set up with 9 on Vista. Now I don't see tool graphics til verify,and Mastercam help tab sends me to Windows help.It's a pain, but I guess I'm glad to still have a job!

Just some food for thought.

All I am going to say is you old guys that refuse to update, be aware, I am aware of a couple of guys that HAVE been let go because they would not change.

A slow economy and resistance to change "can" help make a decision easier than it otherwise would have been.

I've never seen anyone let go cause they weren't up to speed on X thru X3..

but I have seen guys not get hired..

X has been out for 5 (?) years now and there are lots of shops that have never run V9.

A V9 guy won't even get an interview at a shop like that.

One more point.. with the relase of X5 next year,

V9 will become an unsupported ( dead) release.

We've got files going back to V7 here.

Every once in a while I'll get a V8 solid that won't open right in X-X3.

When that happens I open the V8 with V9 and save as a V9.. That usually solves the problem.

I had to do a quick fix in a V9 file the other day. I felt like I had one hand tied behind my back and a broken thumb on the good hand..

You don't realize just how bad V9 was till you have to go back and use it. eek.gif

I still have V7, V9, X2Mr2 and X3, installed.

No shortage of space so no compelling reason to delete. I sometimes open a V7 file to backplot surface driven toolpaths. Rarely, on certain contours V7 will produce cleaner code on control comped toolpaths(this is for tweaks on old jobs)I don't reprogram old jobs just for the fun of it.

V9 is for keeping a path to those V7 files. I don't program in 9 at all. And most recently, I will minimize X3 and open an X2 job in X2 when I need to clarify something to a setup guy, it saves me the trouble of interrupting my programming in X3.

I like more things about X and later than I liked about 9 and earlier, but there isn't much time to be saved in lathe by moving forward. We have one holdout here, a Lathe programmer who refuses to move up. He claims that he is too busy to stop long enough to learn X, I think that this is a ridiculous excuse, but no one has laid down the law to him.