Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Transform tlpths slows down following ops

rsbeadle

I have found a bug in X3MU1. Every time I use toolpath transform in a program the 2d operations that come after the transform op take a long time to process. I have not posted a file, but I drew a four 1.5" circles at 90 degrees around origin, did a pocket toolpath on one 2" deep, transform-rotate-4 at 90 deg. Then in the next op do a 2d contour toolpath of the 4 circles together 2" deep. The op should generate in a flash, but it takes a while to generate. Same results if you make a change and regenerate. The bigger the file the longer it takes. I have a program that takes almost 2 min to generate a similar 2d contour on 6 circles.

We have a customer with the same issue. I don't think its a bug specific to X3 (since this thread shows some guys with the issue and some without...) can we poll some data?

of those experiencing the issue (slow regen of files containing toolpath transforms) I'd like to check:

1 - working with local or network file(s)

2 - have single install or side by sides with previous versions

3 - may have updated install (X2 became X3) and brought .operations, .defaults, .tools files forward....

Goldorac, the 2d path needs to be an op after the transform op (1st op, transform op, 2d op). I think you are transforming all ops. Just transform the 1st op, then add a seperate op after the transform not included in the transform. I have a co-worker in the Beta tester group that has the same problem in X4 production candidate.

1-local files

2-single install

3-new configs for X3

the toolpath transforms work best when you don't do too many ops ina single transform...

DEFINATELY avoid transforming two or more ops calling tool changes; better to have multiple xforms...we use a file in intermediate training which spots, drills, taps, contours, and pockets 32 parts on 4 sides of a tombstone - the op tree reads:

source spotting op, spotting xforms - T1

source drilling op, drilling xforms - T2

source tapping op, tapping xforms - T3

source contour op, contour xforms - T4

etc, etc....you get the idea.

The code posts out good B rotations and subs

it does take a while to post

rsbeadle, thats what i did

1.5 circles 2in deep

1- pocket morph with 1/8 EM .005 step (to get a bigger toolpath)

2- rotate transform 4 times at 90°

3- 2D finish toolpath

can you put an exemple on the FTP to get the same file

Goldorak, I guess I just misunderstood the wording you used. The reason you are not seeing the problem may be that you are using level 1. I am in Mill level 3 with solids, but I don't have to have 3d toolpaths to get the problem. I just used a 1/2" end mill with .250 step over for the pocket and for the finish op. If we can get a poll going everyone please include which level of Mastercam you are using. I did mention above that I used new configs for X3, but I did import my old tool library from MC9 as a text file to X to X2 to X3.

A crazy thought..a new feature for X3 MU1 was the ability to save TEMP files to the Windows Temp folder.. could this be the cause..??

There is a bug in that Windows Temp folder doesn't get cleaned out when Mastercam is shut down.

Some users must have HUGE Windows Temp files by now.

I don't know if Transform ops even use temp files..???

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

1 - working with local or network file(s)

2 - have single install or side by sides with previous versions

3 - may have updated install (X2 became X3) and brought .operations, .defaults, .tools files forward....

1 = Local (Always)

2 = X3 MU1 and Vaporware RC1 biggrin.gif

3 = NO migration

In Vaporware, Xform Toolpaths work MUCH better and faster than they have in the past. Check out the Beta Forum. I started a topic somewhat related to Transform. I have a file with 152 total operations, 86 are Transform Operations. Of the 86, 72 are producing code and 14 are dummy transform ops. About 60% of the transform ops are transforming HST Surface Toolpaths.

I've also found that transforming each tool seperately helps matters - why you sould want to transform multiple tools in a single transform kind of makes me want to go headscratch.gif because you'll make more tool changes at the end of the cycle than is really necessary but to each their own.

If I am machining several duplicate parts side by side I move my geometry off to one side = to the transform distance. I then program all my tool paths on that offset geometry. I then select all those tool paths in one transform operation and post only that. The source operation acts as a "dummy". That way each operation is done on each part then a tool change, then next opp, tool change ,etc.

quote:

I've also found that transforming each tool seperately helps matters - why you sould want to transform multiple tools in a single transform kind of makes me want to go [Head Scratch] because you'll make more tool changes at the end of the cycle than is really necessary but to each their own.

in "Group NCI output by", select operation type instead of operation order wink.gif

this will remove the unnecessary tool changes