Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DNC Computer Cable

David Perron

Hello All, I have a question about DNC computer cable. We use CIMCO DNC and I need to re-wire some machine that we moved. We simply cannot afford the CIMCO brand name cable and I was wondering if anyone else would have Belden or Omni cable part # that they use. I found a belden part # 8133 (28 AWG stranded (7x36) TC conductors, datalene insulation, overall Beldfoil (100% coverage) with 3 pairs), but I am not sure. Thank you for your help.

-Dave

Dave,

give me a call and I'll see what we can do.

quote:

largest stranded gage available

heavier the gage the worse off you are. The large wire causes more resistance and will severely effect length you can communicate. A higher gage number is a smaller wire, so the highest gage would be right but not largest gage.

The Cimco wire we use is 28 gage.

Depending on the number of machines you have I would suggest the wireless option over the long term. If you can't pay for good wire then you obviously aren't in a position to spend $1500 or so to get started now but we've elected to go that route here. A couple of extra bucks now on some wire would be cheaper than thumping your machine when you pick up some transmission problem.

Here are the rest of the parts.

970-25BCA-ND = Metal DB25 shell

970-09BCA-ND = Metal DB9 shell

1125MEA-ND = DB25 solder cup male

1109FEA-ND = DB9 solder cup female

Connections

DB9 Computer

Red-5

Wht-2

Blk-3

Jumper 1-4-6

Jumper 7-8

DB25 Fanuc RS232

Red-7

Wht-2

Blk-3

Jumper 4-5

Jumper 6-8-20

Shield Drain gets soldered to housing of connector on this end only.

Hi Dave,

Rs232 Belden cable # 9932 is typically what we will spec. Generally you want a low capacitance <30pF per foot braided shield with a drain wire. As above . The cable you mention is impressive with 20 pF/ft but sells for a higher price. Belden 9932 is half that price, gives you 7 conductors (incase you have to do RTS/CTS handshaking) and works great. Of course wireless is the ideal way to go.

John Carpenter

www.WireFreeCNC.com

Somers, CT

Steve, are you sure about this:

quote:

heavier the gage the worse off you are. The large wire causes more resistance and will severely effect length you can communicate. A higher gage number is a smaller wire, so the highest gage would be right but not largest gage.

Because I was told different, and a little research says otherwise too.

quote:

The wire gauge is a logarithmic scale base on the cross sectional area of the wire. Each 3-gauge step in size corresponds to a doubling or halving of the cross sectional area. For example, going from 20 gauge to 17 gauge doubles the cross sectional area (which, by the way, halves the DC resistance).

Check out the chart on the bottom of this page:

resistance chart