Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Streaming Programs from Mastercam X3 to Haas VF4

Jjedlicka

We recently got Mastercam and a VF4 Haas in our shop, and I have been designated the guy to figure it all out. My problem is I have created a rather large milling operation in Mastercam (1000kb+), and the Haas only has a memory of 675kb. Is there a way to stream the program into the Haas from the Mastercam editor? Have the computer send only a portion of the program at a time. I can see there being a problem with the Haas trying to verify the program and give an alarm.

Any information on getting around the small memory in the Haas would be great help.

Use the Cimco editor included to do the drip feeding.

Go into settings >> config >> Start/Exit branch, fromt he editor drop down, choose Cimco, repost, set your settings in Cimco and on the machine and drip away

How new is the Haas?

If it's old you can run DNC right from floppy, the manual will tell how to activate the DNC. (however you are limited to what the floppy will hold)

If it's newer and has the USB, you can run from directly from the USB.

Better yet, if it has Ethernet you can run from that (FNC I think it's called).

If none of that works you can fall back to the old RS232. You'll need a cable, check the manual it should have the pin out, if it does'nt I can send it to you. Hook to your computer, set the parameters in Cimco as mentioned above to match the machine and you can run as big a file as want.

More info would be nice, but try this to shorten up your programs:

Remove the block numbers in the editor.

When possible, use the arc filters in your tool paths.

Loosen up your cut tolerance. When I'm in a bind with prog sizes, I'd go this route before dripping any day.

For roughing, at least .002 or greater helps.

For finishing, depending on the size of curves in the surfaces, .0002 can produce decent finishes. Carefull: Larger curves will produce faceted surfaces at .0002. Too much Lager will make flat surfaces look curvy. cheers.gif

The editor in MC will also drip to the Haas no problems.

HTH, MCM.

quote:

you can to avoid DNC.

That is just silly,

If you are set up PROPERLY, there is no reason at all to avoid DNC.

We have many, many, many customers who use this method EVERY day to work large programs on their machines.

I run programs up to 30Mb frequently without DNC.

Done DNC via RS-232 back in the '90's when you HAD to, but there is no need for it now with the newer machines.

If what htm01 says is true, I guess I am running DNC, but I am just thinking back to my Fadal days in the early '90's when DNC was a PITA!!

I'm just saying I would not do it now because I dont have to.

And again like I said...jm2c take it or leave it

I'm not saying that DNC sux. I just don't like the thought of introducing another piece of hardware into the system. (We run RS232 where I'm at). Although it may not be a bottle neck, it's still a pipeline that the data has to traverse. Fortunately, we have a Makino with a hard drive we run off of and I have the luxury of stepping away from the Haas when I need to get good surfaces or exceed it's memory limits.

1) check if your machine has a larger hd area. It may be there, but not readily visible in the menus.

2) your machine may have ethernet. I highly advise against drip feeding a Haas from e-net. Good for grabbing programs off a company network/server though.

3) You probably have a usb port. I'm not sure if the new machines can drip from it, but I have yet to see one that can.

4)THE FOOLPROOF and best way, IMHO.

Get a Grizzly Cable

from predator.

Go into your machine settings, find the communications settings. Select a baud rate, 115000 works fine with a good cable. Check your parity and stop bit settings. Set to DC codes.

Next open the Cimco dnc here:

C:McamX4commoneditorsCIMCOEdit5

Transmission > dnd setup. Match you machine settings.

Set your mastercam config to use cimco as default editor.

Go to machine and hit mdi/dnc key twice.

From cimco transmission > send.

Press green button. biggrin.gif

Once you get it setup the system should work flawlessly. Don't believe othewise. I've set up several systems this way, and have 100% confidence in running lights out dncing this way.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I don't like DNC because RS-232 is the slowest possible transmission method available and because of this is ALWAYS my last resort for running large programs. Your feedrate is limited by two things, the buffer size and the speed of transmission. So you could be effectively limiting yourself to 150IPM or less eek.gif

JM2C