Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Roughing mold cavities

Programinator

For roughing H-13 I use the U5956.530 Its a .5 w/.09 Rad.

I use them for HST Restmill to follow a 2" Iscar Feedmill.

Edit: I use a holepopper and put a 1mm hole thru the center of the EM for coolant thru. It makes it last longer getting the chips outta the way

I use the .25 (U5956.312) also to rough out a fin section on some head dies we do.

They hold up very good

HTH

Ok....now I'm curious. What kind of molds?

I do a lot of forging dies, and absolutely NEVER use end mills for roughing cavities. Always use ball cutters. 10% DOC with 6-12k RPM and 100-170 IPM Feeds.

What kind of feeds and speeds do you use? Just wondering if maybe I should/could be doing it better.

Call up your local Millstar rep and I'm sure they will hook you up with a sample. We use their 3/8 4-flute solid carbide feedmills in P20 or even hardened H13. How fast you go will be based on your machine dynamics, not the tool. I can run 7000rpm and 350 ipm on P20 with our Makino's and it cuts ( and lasts ) like a dream. Solid carbide feedmills have come a long way in the last couple of years. HST toolpath with a feedmill is fun to watch on the right equipment.

Dapra makes some nice tools, too. I have a 3/4 inserted ball nose that I use for probably 90% of my initial rough cuts. 6000rpm, .075 doc, and 45% step-over @ 150 ipm is pretty impressive. I usually bump it up to 8,000 rpm and 150 ipm for finish cuts in non critical areas. Makes for a nice finish! Usually, I go right to a 1/4" 2 fluted ball for a rest roughing pass and depending on the particular part, finish with the 1/4 or 1/8. @ 12000 rpm and 100 ipm.