Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Splines to lines/arcs

Mic6

'Simplify' will only work when the spline 'looks like' a line or arc. It's goal is to convert the spline into one entity of either type.

Use Edit/BreakManyPieces to convert a more complicated spline into a series of lines or arcs. Use the options in the ribbon bar which appears to control how you want them to be created.

'Break Many Pieces' will only try to create Lines Or Arcs. It will not take a spline and give you a series of trimmed, tangent, lines and arcs.

Can you post up a picture of a spline or two you are working with?

The technique I use to create good geometry is to do a Contour toolpath on the spline, turn on the "Filter" and make sure it is set to output arcs in the XY plane. Set your compensation to "Off" and use no lead in/out.

Set your Retract, Feed plane, and depth to "0.0" and "Incremental".

Then Backplot the toolpath and use the "Save as Geometry" function to create the geometry as trimmed lines and arcs...

HTH,

• Like 2

I was able to get the part cutting, but I'd like to figure this out in case of the next time. I created a solid of a skeleton key, when I could have easily just used 2D geometry, but trying to get all fancy just bit me in the a$$. I'll post up a pic on Monday. Thanks for the suggestions.

• 4 years later...

Sorry if I missed it.. So how do you turn a spline into lines and arcs? I need to know this...LOL

If it is straight lines and simple arcs

Edit >> Simplify

If more complex, Break >> Many Pieces, using the available settings on the menu bar

If "Simplify" doesn't do it, then I usually try a "3 point arc" snapping into end, middle and other end. If I still need to refine the curvature I then break the spline in two and repeat the previous step for both curves. That's usually satisfactory for what I work with. I very rarely need to break splines beyond that.