Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ramp

BrianP.

Using X4

Doing a slot .675 dp. in SS cutting on center no comp. Want to ramp to a depth cut in say a 2 inch length then go around the part and repeat for 2 or 3 passes. If I use ramp and put in say .25 it ramps .25 in a single pass around on a continious ramp. Cant use depth cuts with ramp. Is there a way to ramp for a certain distance and then finish the cut.

Use a Lead in.

Set the line to "tangent", set the ramp height, ramp length, and the "enter/exit at midpoint in closed contours" check box.

Make sure the Arc radius is set to 0.0 (so there is no arc on the lead in move).

This will give you a centerline ramp move that ramps down to each depth cut level.

You can decide if you want an exit move or not. I'd recommend a small one so that the tool doesn't rapid up the wall.

You can also turn on the "keep tool down" option under depth cuts. When the tool completes a pass, it will feed over to the start of your plunge ramp, then start the ramp move.

HTH,

You know I'm talking about Lead In/Out, not the "Ramp" options in Ramp contour right?

You need to make sure your contour type is 2D, and you need to enable depth cuts. Also, make sure the top of stock, feed plane, retract plane, and depth are set correctly.

I tried a sample path real quick before I make my first post, so I'm 100% confident that this works. You just have something set incorrectly. Let us know how it goes...

HTH,

O.K. at work now. Yes, we are both on the same page. 2D contour, lead in lead out. Settings are:

Contour type 2D, comp off, lead in/out tangent, enter at mid point, length 2.0 , ramp height .25, depth cuts set to .25. Top of stock is -1.0 with cut depth to -1.675. Plunges straight to depth and then starts cut.

I can write the code by hand so its not really a problem. It's just when I want Mastercam to do something I get friggin stubborn and got to figure it out.