Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4-40 helicoil taps

I have a job coming up that requires six 4-40 helcoil tapped holes per part. The material is 303 stainless. The tapped holes are though holes and the material is .180 thick. We will eventually be making thousands of these parts. I don't normally tap holes this small. I am thinking of using Emuge spiral point taps. Can anyone offer any advice as to tap brand or possible feeds and speeds. Also the info I looked up on the drill size for a 4-40 helicoil says to use a #31 drill. Does this sound correct?

Thanks

Thanks you guys for all the replies. I am going to get the helicoil PDF Hardmill. I will also look into the Ghuring taps since I will be using Ghuring drills on these parts. 35K Chipper we are still trying to get permission from the customer to install the helicoils. We may just drill, chamfer, and tap them.

Thanks again

A question for the engineer who designed this part.

Why would you need to use a helicoil in 303 stainless? Aren't helicoils usually made out of stainless and if so doesn't is seem like a lot of work to put a Stainless helicoil in a stainless part. I don't understand the advantage.

quote:

Even a couple of thou'

can make a big difference when tapping small holes

You ain't just whistling Dixie there Gcode

A couple of weeks ago I finished a project that

involved drilling and tapping a thousand plus

blind 10-32 holes in a 304 SS weldment.

We did it without breaking a single tap.

I learned a few things in the proccess I thought I'd pass along.

I used OSG EX-GOLD stub drills so no spot drill was required and drilled them to the max size

allowed in the thread charts

These drills worked well but were too slow

Next time I'll try solid carbide drills

The tap was an OSG coated roll tap.

They come with 2 different tapers on the tip..

The mild taper worked MUCH better than the bottom taper.

What surprised me was how much the chamfer affected tap life and performance.

120 degree chamfers gave a lot of problems, poor tap life and trouble starting threads with floating holders. A couple of holes had the first couple of threads chewed up becaause the floating holder didn't bite.

90 degree was better.. 60 degree was the best

Tap life in 60 degree chamfered holes was triple that of a 120 degree hole.

It makes sense when you think about it.. but I thought I'd pass it along.

quote:

304 SS weldment

Was it stress relieved after weld? headscratch.gif

This reminds me of a nightmare about 6 years ago. Welded parts, 6-32 tapped holes. It cost us more in EDMing the broken taps out then the job was worth. mad.gif We determined there must have been hard spots in the material because in some places it tapped just fine.

PhilCott

I asked that same question today to a guy I work with who used to work for the company we are making these parts for. He looked at the engineers name on the drawing and told me the engineer died a long time ago. So I guess we will never know the answer to that question.

So what I am going with is:

1. Drill with 3.1mm (.122) diameter Guhring series 5514 solid carbide drill 140 degree with FireX coating (minor is .117/.125)

2. Chamfer holes to .155 diameter with 120 degree 6 flute chatterless solid carbide countersink (gcode if it gives me any problems and I can change the angle I will)

3. Rigid tap with OSG 4-40 STI spiral point taps. I can't remember the exact tap exo- something. I couldn't get the Guhuring or Emuge but I heard these OSG's are excellent

These part went out to double disk grind today so I will be finishing them in a few days. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the advice