Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hacked CAD/CAM

MetalMarvels

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are some points that have not been mentioned. Every software maker wants thiers to be the one people know and use. If everyone was born knowing how to use Microsoft Office, there would have never been a Lotus or Star Office. So software makers will not be prosecuting any students with cracked software. They wouldn't be able to show a loss. They WANT more people to know thier software. At worst, they would make an individual, remove it from thier PC, but I doubt most would ever go that far. Lots of hassle for no gain. One post stated that students with hacked copies, take that to new jobs and use it. BULL, there may be some isolated cases of that, but by and large students just want to get more familiar with software at home, which is probably better equipped, PC wise than the school they are at. I've seen it, students with hacked Pro E copies around here, but when they graduate they go to businesses that already have licensed versions. THATS why they were hired, not because they brought thier own bogus software.

Now with a business, loss can be proved. If the business has used the software to generate income there is a definate loss or ill gotten gain. A professor once told me that laws on software and printed material are essentially the same. You can use a copier to copy a page from a book, or the entire book and no one will care. But if you start selling the copies, or start using excerpts from it as your own work in other publications, you may find yourself in trouble real quick.

quote:

Bullines,

I saw the same thing the other day.

James, I hope the only reason you were using a P2P app was to share recipes and nothing more wink.gif

quote:

Hey Bullines,

Speaking of hacked software. That screen shot of Kazaa looks a lot like the hacked version called Kazaa lite.

Busted rolleyes.gif

does anyone really think a tier 1 customer cares about the software you are using so long as the parts you supply them are correct?

that would be like the NCAA caring about the schools putting young men at risk in the heat of august to prepare for the season. They don't care what you do as long as these boys are ready to make the NCAA millions of dollars come september. Just ask rashidi Wheeler's (from northwestern) mother. (for those of you who don't know, he died last year during one of those aug. practices)

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Recipes... Uh, huh, but of course. tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

Mr. Wallace from Northwestern U. was found to have elevated levels of ephedrine in his system, right? Could this have contributed to his demise as opposed to working out in August(which by the way has been the way of Fall sports since, oh, the mid to late 1800's)? Also, he had a heart condition too that he did not inform the trainer about right? Bad example if you ask me.

Tier 1's should care because it would contribute in a positive way to the overall quality of their product. They have ton's of paper pushers there that they couls assign to this task, or just make the source inspectors responsible for looking at it. I mean shoot, most source inspectors just come in and shoot the breeze anyway, they could ask how stuff is programmed, and if they are licensed to use it.

JM2C

does any of that stuff really matter to his mother? Last i checked,ephedrine was not a banned substance. what about korey stringer from the vikings? or any of the others who have been seriously sick or hurt during these intense workouts in intense heat?

how does it add to the overall quality of the product? the product comes out the same whether it was done with a pirated version or the real deal.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not defending the pirates or the tier 1 suppliers for that matter, but if you only look at one side of the equation, you'll never solve the problem.

[ 08-02-2002, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: biss03 ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I guess biss, that really, those individuals CHOSE to engage in Football which has been known to all of humanity practically to a dangerous sport which has killed a number of people over the years. My oldest son plays football. Would I be heartbroken if he was seriously injured or died? DUH! Of course I would, would I run out and sue the school for holding practice in 100+ deg. heat? No, because he was out there of his own choosing and nobody is forcing him to participate in Football. I'm fully aware of the risks involved, so is he.

Really the heart of the issue is "Do people value intellectual property" The answer is a resounding "NO!!!". People only see software as a "stupid little disk", not as millions upon millions in man-hours of software development that it is. So until people begin to value intellectual property things will never change.

JM2C

Nicholas,

There were so many "things" flying out after I clicked your webpage. "Dad," a quite voice came from behind, my 8 years old boy asked me "Dose Mom know about the page you are reading?" "--Oops, It was an accident, son." Ha, ha, ha, redface.gifbiggrin.gif

I am not only one open the page. xxx.CRACKS.xx should pay you a lot of money for what you did for them. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I am prety sure our little spy will report to his authority. And, I will get nothing tonight in my bedroom. mad.gifmad.gif God, it will be a long-- weekend. rolleyes.gif

Thank you very much, Nicholas! wink.gif

Boy - How do I manage to miss all the fun??

(reading this between friday & today...)

James - what position is your son playing this year? My boy is starting his freshman year and wants to be fullback soooooo baaaaad so he can carry the ball!

Jay - how have you been? Havn't heard from you in a while!

Kathy cool.gif

quote:

Jay - how have you been? Havn't heard from you in a while!

Hi kathy, I have been hanging in there.

how are the kids treating you?

The weather must be great for sailing right now.

How is work treating you or should I say how are the guys treating you?

glad to see things are still moving along.

Are you going to IMTS?

J

[ 08-04-2002, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hi Kathy,

My son's probably going to be on O/D Line. Too bad he so big. He's got a cannon but the coaches can't see past his size otherwise he'd be QB. The coaches told him "Don't even bother trying out for QB..." Doesn't that suck? Good luck to your boy, hope he has a successful season.