Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating undefined tools

grav400

Thanks Tony35,

I didn't have a center line on my cutter

I double checked the x0 y0 z0 location.

I don't get why it doesn't work. It puts some geometry in the window when you define the tool. but, I can't make out what it is. Also, it doesn't show up when I backplot. I looked up this in the help and it said to set your backplot setting on the tool to as defined. Did that and the tool still won't show up for me to see.

When I created my custom hook tool, I used a dashed construction line that overshoots the actual tool geometry on the y axis, though it is not necessary. Use X0 Y0 for lower left corner of the center of tool. Only draw half the tool and be sure to trim any lines that cross y axis.

Save your tool geometry in your tool folder, same directory as your post. When you create the new tool for the first time, on the TYPE tab click the undefined? button. Then click the CUSTOM FILE radio button to open the folder to pick your custom tool drawing.

Just after the fact...

Requirements for tool profile geometry:

Draw the profile in the Top construction plane.

Use only line and arc entities.

Position the lower-left corner at X0, Y0.

NOT SURE ABOUT THIS NEXT ONE because mine seemed fine disregarding it. Maybe this requirement is obsolete.

The X dimension must equal 1.0 in either metric or inch units. Mastercam scales the geometry based on diameter you enter in tool definition.

Use an open contour to outline half the tool.

No undercuts are allowed.

Do not include other geometry in the file. If the geometry is on a level in the part file, there should not be any other geometry on the level.

After you Draw up the tool assign it to a level. Then use that level as the tool geometry not a file and assuming your geometry is trimmed together completely it will be drawn. Verify you tool Geometry by holding shift key and then left mouse click it. The entire tool should highlight. If it stops any where along the tool it isn't trimmed together.