Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 Backplot and a few other issues

Dave.L

Greetings All,

I just started using X4 for a new job. I noticed a few things that may have been brought up before (My apologies if they have been). Also, I may not have the settings correct, so please let me know if that is the case.

1) when backplotting, I am zoomed to fit, the whole model shows. When you press “play”, the view zooms in. Very annoying

2) I am using a solid and I have the “outlined shade” set to color black and the edges are not black (non-black background). I am sure I am doing something wrong on this one.

3) General comment, I am not in love with the new tree style boxes. I like the intention, but not the follow thru. It seemed far more natural before. Also, in the drill page when you scroll thru the drill options, the name of the one you select is not readable while selecting it. Not a huge deal, but a bit annoying.

quote:

General comment, I am not in love with the new tree style boxes. I like the intention, but not the follow thru. It seemed far more natural before

While I don't have anything to really offer on your first two points, just give this time and it will feel more natural. I didn't like them at first either, but now I would say I prefer the tree style boxes, for the most part.

quote:

All 3 of those problems sound like they might be video related. Have you played with hardware accleration and different video drivers to see if it makes a difference?

No. And I DO NOT have a good video card. I will be getting one soon for Solidworks reasons.

I am now attempting to change the color of my solid and I am blown away how long it's taking to figure out. I have been working with solidworks for about 3 weeks, totally self taught and it's a breeze. Things that seem as if they would be easy in MC seem to not follow normal, easy to use methods.

• 2 months later...

I shelfed this topic since I was using a pretty lame PC.

quote:

1) when backplotting, I am zoomed to fit, the whole model shows. When you press “play”, the view zooms in. Very annoying

quote:

All 3 of those problems sound like they might be video related.

Today I got my new hardware up and running (see signature) and I still have the issue with backplot. Anyone else experience this?

Also, Solidworks right out of the box looks awesome but models in MC still look pretty poor.

Are there some settings that will improve the model graphics?

Thanks for the help.

Shaded solids with edges on takes a boatload

of video power. Turning the edges on with a big

solid model will bring even powerhouse workstations to thier knees.

If you've got a low end video card, you will see very poor performance with edges turned on..

I'm not seeing any of the backplot issues you mention..

The new tree... I hated it at first.. and raised holy hell in the beta chat boards about it.

I'm used to it now and prefer it to to old style.

IMO You will find it to be more productive once you're used to it.

There are things I'd like to see changed though.

I'd like tool tip comp ON the Link page..

and I'd like to be able to drag the whole page

big enough to see ALL the fields with scrolling.

G, I brought this topic back up for the video reasons.

I am viewing very simple models so my new PC should be able to handle it very easy. I think the FX1800 is not a low end card, not the highest but certainly not low end.

In Soildworks the models are much larger and they look much, much better.

The issue with backplot "zooming in" or not staying at the current screen, is an issue that I have experienced now on 2 different PC's.

So, their must be some setting you have that is not a stock setting which must be why you are not seeing this.

Anyone else seeing this:

quote:

As far as the tree, that's a whole other topic and I've given my opinions in detail after I made the 1st post of this thread.

quote:

Yep, I just checked, it is the "Fit toolpath" function that is zooming in.

Thanks Colin, that did the trick!!

I am still looking for a setting that will display shaded outlines of models similar to Solidworks. I do have it set, and it's set to black edges (I have a blue/purple background). the edges do show black, but not nearly as sharp and defined as solidworks.

I am sure there must be a way to tune this.

quote:

There are things I'd like to see changed though.I'd like tool tip comp ON the Link page..

and I'd like to be able to drag the whole page

big enough to see ALL the fields with scrolling.

The exact same point I brought up. There is no need to make users scroll and possibly miss a parameter when the dialog box is that small. Just upsize it, or allow re sizing and all that wasted motion is gone...time is money.

On backplot. Somewhere along the way we lost the ability to control backplot color. There is an override to color cycle backplot colors by tool or op IIRC. This is useless when it hits an orange or yellow color and rapid is yellow also! Now...in the infinite wisdome you cannot tell a feed from a rapid. Dangerous and silly. Why is there no cycling override to make backplot a single color (yes like it used to be LOL) you can see while working...reguardless of tool color or verify color. I dont care about the other tool colors they are history...I'm done looking at those, just the one I'm working on.

quote:

Why is there no cycling override to make backplot a single color

There is.. all my backplot is one color.. Yellow for rapid.. light blue for feed..

It's the switch on the "Color Loop" switch on the far left of the backplot control panel.

I just tried backploting a file with 10 tools

and color loop active.. yellow never came up as a feed tool headscratch.gif

Display endpoints is a must for drilling. Some years back they made step / inc. so that the drill will not reach full depth when backploted unless enpoints is selected. This bug is still there today.

I like step from .100-.300 to watch a contour / pocket / 3d path (it gives better feel for actual tool motion). ...but I use endpoints to trouble shooting and fine tune motion.