Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic mill overengaging

MIL-TFP-41

I have uploaded a file to the FTP in the mcx4 files folder named "Dynamic overengage.mcx". The material is 304L stainless....we were getting very good MMR (4000 rpm, 120 ipm, 15% stepover) till the program started to clean up around the bosses. I have highlighted the problem areas with red boxes. You could hear and see that the tool was cutting WAY too much...in some cases it looks like it is engaging 50% of the tool. Needless to say we have a few tools that are now in multiple pieces. Am I missing a setting to not allow for this to happen? The tool was cutting very nicely till it came across the problem around the bosses banghead.gif

Any suggestions? I am looking into the volumill free trial to see how they are addressing areas like this....

quote:

I ran this part through volumill. It did a much better job of keeping the tool from over engaging. It bounced around the part so much and made so many retracts that I dont think that the path is efficient enough to justify.

I am trying the 15 day trial...and found the same thing. No over engaging, but WAY too many rapid moves. note...the part that is on the ftp is a rough model of what we are actually making. The real thing has alot of pockets also. The Volumill pocket toolpath looks good....but then so does the dynamic toolpath.

Did you talk to Glen about all of the rapid moves? Ive been bugging him about this to see if I can get them to change things where the retracts are concerned. The more they hear about this issue the better.

I use volumill on a fair amount of jobs but about 50% of the time I end up ditching the path due to the amount of retracts.

• 6 months later...

Vericut's optipath could fix that. I tried the varimill trial as well, was pretty impressed except with the retracts. I really liked how the tools slows down in certain places then goes balls to the wall in straight aways...if your machine will go that fast. I am wondering when Mastercam's dynamic mill will start working along those same lines.. Optimizing feeds and speeds based on the amount of material being removed.. Not every pocket we cut is the same depth of cut through the whole pocket.

quote:

mastercam's highfeed does that

I wonder how well??

Mastercam's hi feed technology

predates Dynamic milling by a decade.

It would be very cool if hi feed could be

incorperated into toolpaths as an option

without locking the toolpath

I also wonder if Mastercam's

dynamic milling is working any

better. There have been 3 MU's released

since this thread was started.