Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Should I upgrade to X4?

hugh jars

A while ago there was a thread titled "How many of you guyz are still using 9.1". Most answers were along the lines of "No way". Well I use 9.1 and I'm very happy with it. I have Mill L3 and Lathe running on XP Pro, programming for a 3axis VMC, a 4axis VMC and 2 x 2 axis lathes.

Now recently this forum has become a massive grumble about the bugs in X4 and X4MU1. I am quite willing to spend on an upgrade to X4 and was intending to do so as soon as MU1 was released but now I'm not so sure. Will I end up tearing out my few remaining strands of hair? On the machines described will I find any benefits?

To put it another way, how many of you guyz regret upgrading to X4?

Thanks

A few years back I left a job where I was using ver X2 and the new company was still using v9 with the promise of upgrading to X3 soon. Promise was broke of course and I got stuck using v9 the entire 13 months I stayed there.

Going to v9 from X(+) was the absolute worst software experience I've ever encountered in over 20 years of computing.

Going to another job and getting to use ver X(+) again was like being re-united with an old friend.

When X was being developed and v9 was current, I was very strongly against giving up the old MSDOS style interface as I'm a heavy keyboard user. Some of the keyboard functionality was indeed lost, apparently for good. However, improvements in other areas of the program far outweigh the bit of lost power user functionality.

Having used Mastercam since v3 and going from X2 to v9 and back to X3, I will say that that even with some of the problems currently plaguing the software, it is far far more productive than v9 and previous version could ever dream of being.

My advice is to take the plunge into X4 and be fully aware it'll take a couple months to get used to it and fall back to v9 only if you get in a tight jam. 6 months after, you'll be saying, "why did I wait so long to upgrade". I guarantee it.

quote:

My advice is to take the plunge into X4 and be fully aware it'll take a couple months to get used to it and fall back to v9 only if you get in a tight jam.

This sums up my opinion nicely. biggrin.gif

Keep your V9 handy in case of emergency, but stick with X4 until you get the hang of it.

Once there, you will NEVER want to go back.

quote:

And probably start asking "How do you... " on this site.

That's what we're all here for!!! cheers.gif

(Besides the political and religious smackdown found in the 'off-topic' forum) wink.gif

I just cannot express my love enough for dynamic milling. Even if this was the only reason to upgrade it's well worth it.

http://www.alvarogil.com/cadcam/mastercam/...namic_mill.html

Oh and id get on maintenance, X5 is going to bring something similar to contours. Boy did I need that toolpath on the last job I did, i broke so many 1/8 cutters it started to get old...