Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

writing toolpath from created solid

DCOPE17

I was just fooling with things so I created a solid of a part we're working on. Now, when I do a dynamic rotation... I get all the lines arcs and all that in which to rotate from. When I try to use that same line or arc for a toolpath... not happening.

Then I go to Create - Curve - Curve on All edges... I can't do that either. I can do that with IGS. files that I imported.

I'm sure I can save the solid as an IGS. file then import it back in and create curves...

But what's the easy way?

I'm not sure I understand your first question. The "lines and arcs" that you see when picking a rotation point are edges. They don't exist as actual lines and arcs, but MC still recognizes them. These edges should be able to be selected for chaining when creating toolpaths. You're saying that they can't be selected?

To create edge curves, there's a solid selection button in the ribbon bar that you must select first, otherwise, MC is looking for surfaces, which it can't find because there are none.

Thad

You can create the wireframe on a solid with Create-Curve-All Edges. The step you are missing is "Solid Selection".

When you are in the All Edges function, click on the "activate solid selection" button on the General Selection ribbon bar. This will give you solid selection options which include "face" and "body". You can turn off "body" if you just want to create wireframe on a single face.

HTH,

You can actually use these "solid edge curves" for creating toolpaths without having to create wireframe geometry. If you create a contour toolpath, there is a button on the chaining menu to switch from wireframe chaining to solid chaining.

So in reality you can machine directly off your solid without having to do anything "extra".

This is not necessarily the best practice though. Why? Because you can easily edit wireframe geometry, and you cannot edit the solid chains. I also like the fact that you can make a change to your solid model and it won't dirty the toolpaths. If your toolpaths are linked to the solid (by using a solid chain), then your toolpath will go dirty when you make a change to the model.

Ok, thanks guys for the info. The create curves then the solid selection worked.

I've never had to do that cause we always get customer supplied models in either step. or igs. files and the step. files can be toolpathed while the igs. files need a wireframe created.

I like you reasoning on chaining from the wireframe and not the solid. Sounds like the easy way to go.

Big Thanks.

Create Curves All Edges will give you pretty clean results from a solid model. This is because the system knows that faces share adjacent edges, and Mastercam will only create a single edge curve where they meet. Not so with an IGES file, as the system will create edge curves on every edge of every surface. This is what leads to having all that ugly overlapping stuff.

Creating curves on the IGES files does create overlapping entities. Some are clean arcs and lines... some are splined.

I project the arcs and lines like .25 above the part and put them on a different level. It takes a little time to do this but then I also have an easily chainable 2D outline w/o modifying the wireframe.

I may not understand the problem correctly so please don't laugh at me. When I import a solid (like a sat file) or open up a Solidworks file.

In system configuration / converters / solid import section, there is a box labeled edge curves, when this is checked the solid comes in with the wire frame. also if you want surfaces on your solid check the trimmed surface box.

If I am getting a file from a customer I ask for a Sat(ACIS kernel),or x_t(parasolids kernel) file. However MCX will, open an assortment of files in their native form.