Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Delays in Mastercam

Bob W.

quote:

Out of those 100, how many were identical on how they liked it layed out??

That's why there's Vanilla & Chocolate. Some like, some dont

One thing all seem to agree on is that it was fine before, better than fine, it flowed well with good sense.

But you are correct, we all have our own different opinions.

quote:

Anybody that wants to stick with X3 because X4 and the tree dialogs are "slower" is not looking at the whole picture.

Hmmm...where to start. rolleyes.gif

Well...you only mentioned 1 reason of the 3 I mentioned and there are obviously more I didn't take time to point out...but...to begin, all the lost time with toolpath regen errors and lost DAYS in X4 that just about drove me back to drinking...I'm tired of being the $14,000 beta tester for software, and have no time for it. Transform errors...rarely use it anymore. Let me just say this...I do see the big picture.. its MY big picture not somebody elses. I dont do mold work, and toolpath generation times add up to squat at the end of the week. Right now I'm cutting prototype smaller size complex precision parts and need a system that doesn't make a high end PC look like a 386 PC. When they get it right, I'll upgrade (but from my experiance with MC that is SP1 to SP2 from any new release), just like 64b Win 7 and support for it...I'll wait.

quote:

Well...you only mentioned 1 reason of the 3 I mentioned

Well, i agree with your other 2 gripes, but they are still not a reason for me to stay back in X3. Transform errors? I don't ever have a problem with transform, especially since MU2 came out. It's not my dollar on the line, but i have used almost every CAM system out there, and when I put my money down, it will be for Mastercam, without a doubt.

Edit: Oh, and Dynamic milling...once you use it, you will never go back tongue.gif

quote:

Edit: Oh, and Dynamic milling...once you use it, you will never go back

I heard the same thing about dark meat...and haven't ever tried it...but...never say never. biggrin.gif

I've used 7 different cad cam systems over the years, and 80% of the last 24 years programming in Mastercam. Dont misunderstand my gripes...the intent is to promt somebody at MC QC to strive to get it right the first time...pretty much the same standard I hold myself to...in the "real world".

[ 12-30-2009, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Verndog ]

quote:

Thats why if we are going to ask to get it changed, lets ask for the order to be user customizable.

I think this would be the only way to make most of the people happy. You will never make everyone happy in my opinion. I have been useing Mastercam since V9 and I can honestly say it is alot better now than it was back than.

I like the tree style but I would like to be able to move them around to how I use the software.

But with that said I will have no issues with ordering up a seat of Mastercam here shortly.

Just my .02

Another big issue with me is the holder layout.

Just try making a holder stick in X4!! And yes...its safe to say this is part of so called "upgraded parameters" (tree style).

I have been using custom holder drawings by replacing the file holder.mcx in the tools folder that gives me an exact replication of the machine tool with spindle in tight clearance situations.

I've attached a rotary 4axis job with tight clearance that has 28 holes...(many intersecting) with tight reach for ref.

This is imperative that I KNOW before defining the tool/holder and LOC before issuing to shop floor, and I KNOW it clears without spindle / holder collision. And I know it clears BEFORE vericut so I save time back and forth redoing what I should know at time of toolpath gen. BTW... I dont have tool / holder collisions that I see many others suffer from because of this. wink.gif

Try doing this in X4. It will depend somewhere in the machine def. manager whether the file holder.mcx or new tool def. or the size defined in params is used. I dont need tons of pages of irritating holders defined that I have to verify each dim when I've already done so. Most people can get by with 10-12 holder defs. that will be close...when its real tight THEN you dial to exact spec and save for later use.

This is part of "the big picture" I'm accused of not seeing. bonk.gif

4ax-screen-shot-1.jpg

quote:

From what I understand multithreading only saves time if regenerating several multithreaded toolpaths at a time (one processor per toolpath). If you edit one multithreaded toolpath and regenerate there is no advantage.

Bob, there is still a big advantage in just (re)generating a single multithreaded toolpath at a time. It's that while the toolpath is crunching you can still use Mastercam, i.e. you can draw, start any new toolpath or backplot/verify/post exsiting ops.

While a m/thread op is busy doing its thing, you can - for example - regen a "standard" operation (the type which stops you using Mastercam) and it can fully regen while the multithreaded one is still calculating in the background. All of this has been saving me a lot of time recently smile.gif

[ 01-05-2010, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Rich Thomas ]

quote:

While a m/thread op is busy doing its thing, you can - for example - regen a "standard" operation (the type which stops you using Mastercam) and it can fully regen while the multithreaded one is still calculating in the background.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I was looking at it from a purely benchmark point of view.