Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma lathes communications

ATG

Ok, what do you guys use for the communications via RS232 for the okuma Lathes. I believe the controller is an osp 5000L. I've hooked up the db9 to db25 cable per the books spec. I've tried cimco and master cams editors to send the programs with no luck other than parity error. I’m not really sure I'm even getting the control ready the right way. I hit edit, then pip, then read, then type cno:, then hit Input and try to send the program. I've set the pc communications program according to the procedure sent by Okuma support.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Seth

banghead.gif

Watch out for the baud rate and other DNC parameter changes with that control. If you change the baud from, say, 4800 to 9600 and immediately power off the control [like the machine tells you to] the baud rate will reset itself to 4800 when you turn it back on. You need to wait about 15 min for the control to 'read' your parameter changes into memory; this may be your problem.

Otherwise, the only thing I don't recognize in your steps is the cn0: thing. In our 5020 it is Edit-PIP-Read-Write/Input

We use Cimco DNCMax, but CimcoEdit should certainly work

Thanks Guys cheers.gif I will give these suggestions a try. Now that I think of it I never checked the settings in the machine. Also I didn’t wait after hitting input either. I will check the settings and wait on the input...Is there any curtain parameters to look out for in the machine......

Thanks again...

Setup comms by first sending a small test file from the machine to the PC, as there will be less variables to consider.

Okuma adds code to the start and end of files for transmission purposes

ie file naming at the start $filename.min% for when re-importing into the control and % to terminate the file transfer session

If the % is missing from the EOF ( end of file ), not much will happen, it will either freeze the control or timeout on you.

Also note, Okuma has different settings for "PIP READ" and "PIP PUNCH"

your cno: should be cn0:, ( a zero, not letter oh )

set the program to send form the PC before CN0:,

to add a commennt to what Superman said , be sute that ALL your character are in uppercase , the OSP5000 don't support lowercase

here what i got for an OSP 5000

stop bit = 2

parity = Even

baud rate = 19200 (default settings of okuma was 1200 i think)

Data bit = 7

Port mode = ASCII

we also got to get some custom DB25 connectors with a couple of bridge ans by-pass (buy from our resseller)

quote:

CalMotion gear

Are you using thier USBCNC or LANCNC?

I recently installed one of the LANCNC devices. One issue I have run into is that you can not post or save a file directly to the FTP location. You must move it using FTP software or windows explorer. The other issue is that it only supports 8.3 file naming format.

The neat thing about these LANCNC devices, is that any computer can communicate to any and all machines in the shop without setting up any serial ports, and no remote request BS to deal with.

Anyone else using any of these?

• 13 years later...