Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Core Usage

Can someone please explain to me why I have this super computer yet MasterCam is only using 6% of my processor to generate tool paths while I sit here staring at the screen watching money go to waste?

I know there's a reason so please explain as it seems absolutely absurd to have a drag car with 1200HP and 6" wide street tires.....

Not really an IT guy but I was having some issues and our IT person said that a certain percentage of the processor memory is allocated to the operating system.

He reset this value for me which "allowed" Mastercam to use more of the Core memory.

It certainly helped on my computer.....don't know if this is the same situation....

Nick Eaton

I'm not a computer wiz, but just for informational purposes, I have a duo core and when I process big files, in task manager it shows that I'm using 50% which,IMO, shows that I'm using all of one core.

I wonder if what Nick said could help you.

I've got dual Quad Cores Xeons. Here's an explanation.

"The Xeon is multi-threaded. With the proper version of the operating system, a quad-core Xeon looks like 8 processors. Running both threads of a Xeon full out gains you about another 50% compute speed, varying as a function of just what you're trying to do.

If he's already interested in multi-core for solving his problem, it means he's using software that will take advantage of multiple processors. Usually such software can use as many processors as are available, and in that case it will run substantially faster on the Xeon than on the Core2, all other things being equal."

See I have 2 Xeon Quad cores for and effective 8 Cores, with multi-threading turned on in my Bios I can split that and have 16 cores. The problem is when processing one large toolpath only one core (6%) is being utilized.