Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing other file types

maestro

I recently received some files from one of our designers at our corporate office that were modeled in ProE. These consist of a model of the finished part and a model of the forging from which this part is to be machined from. The models I have received are iges and step files. The finished part file comes into MC as a very nice solid with no problems. The model of the forging however comes in as sufaces OK, bit any atempt to import the step file in as a solid or convert from sufaces to a solid once in MC results in a sheet solid with missing faces and gaps. I have looked though all of my config settings along with the options when chosing the file to open with no luck. Th only other cad software I have access to is Catia V5, but I am not very experianced with it. It seems to import into this OK, but any attempt to export back out and into MC pretty much gets me the same result. Just wondering if anyone might have any ideas to resolve this. I may end up going back to the designer who did these files and see if there is anything he can do in ProE to help out.

Of all the major cad systmes I have the most trouble with ProE files

This one came in with some missing corner fillets.

I changed some import settings in SolidWorks

imported and let Import Diagnostics do its magic.

SolidWorks is worth the price for its translation

capablilities alone.

Get a copy of Rhino 3D.

www.rhino3d.com

It's worth every dime for the translators alone but it great for cleaning up neutral file formats.

It will also export ParaSolid and Mastercam can open its *.3DM file directly.

Send me a copy of the problem file or post it to the FTP area and I can clean it up for you so it closes.

Our engineers design with ProE and this is a common problem. From what I have researched, ProE is not capable of building a proper parasolid so the import into Mastercam is not great. We import ProE files directly into Mastercam as we have a ProE converter licence and if their is problems, we have the engineers output a step file. Lately, we have been checking files with Solidworks for errors. I think our company will be making the transition from ProE to Solidworks this summer to help correct this issue. Solidworks to Mastercam is a dream.