Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Center Drill Definition is not quite complete

Dead Money

Applicon Bravo, the desendent of the old CompactII of the late 70's, let you pick any size centerdrill you wanted, tell it what dia. chamfer you were were looking for and bang, the Z depth was calculated for you. No problem unless some bozo had been grinding on the centerdrill. I loved that feature.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

WAY WAY WAY back in the day I had a C-Hook for this. I compiled it for V8. I never updated it.

Never felt the need as I never use Center Drills.

The C-Hook would let you select circles, then you selected your centerdrill (based on values stored in amn editable external file and it created points at the appropriate depths for the centerdrill selected.

I could ressurrect it... not for free because of what I'll have ot do to resurrect it. Install Visual Studio (latest release), configure, re-compile, etc... Probably looking at a day's work.

Let me know if there's any interest.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Creating a standard centerdrill into a custom tool is a pain in the toe workaround.

Which is why the C-Hook was created. Teh definition table was an editable table so you would take the dimensions from your Ctr. Drill Mfr. and you're off to the races. I just took the numbers from the Machinery's Handbook.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

IMHO this is something that should be address by CNC, not an aftermarket add-on. Ima gonna send it in again.

Funny, same thing is said about MoldPlus, Verisurf, Prodrill, etc...

That's been a request since the dawn of time. Good luck with that. cheers.gif

Bak at the dawn of time, ( I remember, I was there), Applicon Bravo and Compact II handled it very nicely. I'll admit MasterCam and other systems are way more powerfull than the old text based stuff but it would be a nice feature and it cannot be that hard to provide one would think. Bravo had some very nice lathe roughing routines as well. Say you were roughing a part that had a good number of step diameters on it. You described the stock and finish boundaries as usual and had the option to specify a range of depth of cuts. The system would then optimize the cutting within that range so you would not be taking say a .040" depth of cut for a span while most of your other depths were say .140" to .185" or so. I really liked that one.

Sorry to ramble but I used that system for quite a few years and am sometimes amazed the new systems don't have a lot of these user friendly features.

cheers.gif