Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pull G10's from an external file?

crazy^millman

quote:

Tim, it does make sense, when half the guys looking for setup positions can't do the trig. It is our job to make their job as easy as possible.

The program should do the trig for them. Our operators just setup the tooling/fixturing, set variables based on how many parts they're going to run (our order quantities can vary from two to twenty for the same part), and push the button. The program will find and set the work offsets. If I ever find the time the programs will be setting the tool length/dia data also.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Flipside of using them is keeping yourself workin when others cannot not as an AE tho

No thanks. Too boring. In the next 4 weeks, I will be in a minimum of 6 different shops doing different things in each one. I'll take that over being tied to a chair any day that ends with "Y". biggrin.gif

quote:

But most of the places I know of doing prismatic work with multiple zeroes don't do it that way. They expect the setup guy to provide the #'s.

I'm blessed to be in an environment where management stays out of the way and allows people doing the work to figure the best way to get parts out the door. The customers (operators) I write for very often come in with suggestions that will make their jobs easier and when they do I either fix the job right away, throw it on my TO DO list, or explain why I can't do it. This keeps my workload very high but it also keeps improving the efficiency and quality of the parts. This also keeps the operator's moral high and looking for added improvement.

quote:

Maybe I am wrong, but I read Verndog's point to be based on .000 or .001 true position, and I agree with his point regarding this.

Somebody gets it. wink.gif

Wow...what a firestorm this stirred up, right up to listing every machined programmed... have fun with the war stories. firebounce.gif

There is no reason for anybody on the shop floor to do any Trig. either way you program C/L or part zero. There are simple coordinate calculator programs that run on any PC that you give C/L in X and Z for horizonal or Y and Z for vertical with distance from C/L to "G54" X0Z0 is input...then input the rotations in program and new X Z are printed out...mathematically perfect. Someone skims .010 from a fixture face...no big deal, put in the new C/L to Z value, calculate new rotation without waiting for a programmer.

[ 02-27-2010, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Verndog ]

Joe I am still waiting on some one to comment that when your part is on the center of rotation and all your dimensions come from the center of the part then all your number match the blue print. With following the use only work offset rule then on parts we do that have 80 ports around the outside diameter with .002 true position we have to create 80 work offsets to do good quality work. No that does not add more work to the job does it? headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifcuckoo.gifcuckoo.gif

Ron, on parts like that, it's DEFINITELY better to program from the center of rotation. That's why I mentioned earlier that I run some parts sitting on the center of the pallet, programmed strictly from the center of rotation. I'm at the shop right now programming a job for my Variaxis from center of rotation, and I'm guessing 99% of the jobs I put on this machine are going to be from the center of rotation.

I generally program with respects of the drawing datums (not always though for center of rotation) but this subject certainly can go back forth all day long with opinions...

Another option I like doing is using 3D Coordinate Rotate (G68 in 3D). I use this on Mazak eVerticals. I can use one offset at the center of the table/part but still use code that follows the print making it easy for a machinist to follow. G54.2 works well also but I use for different reasons.

I run many parts as center of rotation but most of them don't have the datums at center. The backfiguring for adjustments can get quite brutal especially on parts with mulitple primaries.

Certainly lots of ways to move parts & offsets around though huh? G10, G52, G53(through G10), G54.2, G68, G68 G92, macros.....

WOW, seriously I should have never said never. I didn't really mean to start this debate, but this works for us and Zoober we do parts like the one in your screenshots (see siggy) that part was on center of the table and the part zero was also, could I have had the part zero an inch of center? yep, my program would not look any different, and the part would get done the same and I would still pick up one offset.

One question Zoober, How do you handle a feature where the TP is not coming out on one index but the rest of the features are good?

Also James we don't have the option of G54.2 on all of our machines.

First, I find out why. I am not a fan of lying to a program because a feature is off. There is usually a reason, and that is the first place I look.

Secondly, I can have multiple offsets while programming CL if I need to.

I am not saying CL is only way or best, but when you have that many faces to do, having different offsets and zeroes for each face is way too much overhead to have to keep track of for my taste.

Also, I am not saying the part has to be on CL of rotation, just the zeroes.

Easiest for me and my ways. Your mileage may vary. biggrin.gif

late to conversation but...

1. make the choice yourself, there are advantages/disadvantages to both.

2. if you want to use many work offsets it's silly to pick them up manually, in comes the G10 list.

3. you have your fixture in mastercam. you have your parts in Mastercam. You setup your planes in Mastercam. so... just have the post output the "correct" G10 locations for you.

4. If interested, there is a post on the ftp site that outputs a sequential G10 list at the top of the nc file based on your Mastercam work offset and origin values. This gives you your G10 list as programmed at the top of the file. This may be V9 post, or X machine def, it will need to be updated to X4. It can be re-posted as a X4 machine def if needed.

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

G54.2 is a cool option. Works ONLY for 3+2 or 3+1. If you need simultaneous 5-Axis and RTDFO, that's another different option. Keep in mind there are certain things you can't do while G54.2 is active with certain controls.

quote:

Your milage may vary...

ROFL!!!