Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4 axis issues on Haas

Jammer™

Using a rotary 4 axis path.

I came in this morning and my Haas alarmed out saying it was out of range in the A axis. The screen was reading "A 153999.55". That was the finishing path and I'm not sure it reset itself back to A0 after I ran the roughing path.

Is that a Haas thing or a post issue? If it has a limit then you would be limited to how long of a part (this case it's an auger)you can cut.

Secondly, how can I smooth up this finishing path. I am using a 1/4 ball with a .010 step over and it looks rough. I have the cut tolerance set to .0005. Should I use the filter as well? It's an auger made out of Delrin, so it needs to be smooth.

TIA

problem with the rotary 4 path is the tool tip does the cutting - no provision for lead/lag angle so you'll chase your tail on the finish...better to use a multi axis path locked down to 4 axis output

do you have a tool change between your rough and finish paths? even if the same tool's doing the cutting, forcing a tool change might unwind the A as part of the rotret/inc rtz that's implied at M6....

feed was set at 30ipm....seems slow out on the machine

I didn't have a tool change in. I ran the tools as seperate programs just proving them out. I will have a tool change in the final program though.

I will try the multi axis path. That sounds like a better option.

Thanks guys!

Chris, just got off phone with the apps guy at Haas. He told me about changing setting 108 and parameter 43. Which will solve the 20 mins it takes to unwind. biggrin.gif

Mike S, Are you saying I need to set this to a 2?

ipr_type : 0 #Feedrate for Rotary, 0 = UPM, 1 = DPM, 2 = Inverse

What about this? a 1????

use_frinv : 0 #Use Inverse Time Feedrates in 4 Axis, (0 = no, 1 = yes)